Hello and Welcome *PLEASE READ* <---- Actually don't

Please introduce yourself here, read a little about this Forum, & how to use it. Report any problems, ask questions.

Hello and Welcome *PLEASE READ* <---- Actually don't

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Every Forum I have ever joined has a *PLEASE READ* at the top. Do I ever read them? Do I begger! Are you reading this?

No! But you ought to, especially here because we are different. There are few written down rules, but that doesn't mean that we don't follow rules, just that we don't write them down. People know what is acceptable behaviour, and abide by it. The few who don't, won't follow the rules anyway, but may argue or try to sneak past, by or through the rules, writing them down just opens up the opportunity to flaunt the rules.

There is one thing that the new member no longer needs to know

Once your first few posts would have had to be moderated. This was nothing personal, but because we had an ongoing problem with robots which join here and posted spam, it was a way of keeping Robots off the board. We seem to have cracked the robot problem, so you are allowed to post from the moment you join - so why not introduce yourself to the Forum straight away?

I edited this post from the original, so some of the replies it got may not make sense as they made to the original! :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Hello and Welcome *PLEASE READ* <---- REALLY

Postby Lynda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Well here's one person who did read it. :D
Lynda

Postby REI » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:44 am

Nick,

Let's see how well the process works. On the surface is sounds perfect. Robots rarely ever want to introduce themselves. If a robot did, it should likely be put on the approved list assuming the intro was interesting.
John B. Corey Jr.
25+ years of REI, US & UK.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter-> www.twitter.com/john_corey
REI

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:44 am

REI wrote: Robots rarely ever want to introduce themselves. If a robot did, it should likely be put on the approved list assuming the intro was interesting.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it!

I don't know too much about how it is all done, but I suspect that there is a human element too, using cheap 3rd world labour. There are "farms" where children who are skilled at gaming play online games like world of warcraft to build up high scoring IDs which are then sold to wealthy 1st world children who are prepared to pay to acquire the status without doing the work. Middlemen make a lot of money, the child sweat workers get pence per day. The going rate for this child labour is 1c/log in.

There is a lot of Forum spam about - prompted by your comment I just deleted 14 accounts which is probably about 7/day. I may lose some genuine joiners in being so aggressive with the pre-emptive deletions, but I am after an easy life.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:06 am

That experiment was a resounding failure! I'm not sure if the spammers have a clever way round the registration process, or I set it up wrongly, but they seemed to take offence & we got spammed especially heavily this morning.

So now users have to apply to join. It's not going to be especially friendly for people who want to become members, but it's better than becoming * Central.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

OK - I think that I have cracked it. Some simple questions for the robots is currently working, so I've taken off the post moderation, and also I'm letting joiners activate their own account (I'd put it so that I activated all accounts). If it continues to work then I will change the welcome message. :mrgreen:
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:19 am

Good Luck. I hope it works.
Lynda

Postby slagthemoff » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:35 am

I massively reduced spam by rejecting connections from the Russian Federation - I don't suppose you would miss much if you did the same :-)
slagthemoff

Postby GrumpyLandlord » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Hello Nick. Thanks for the invitation.
Tumi
GrumpyLandlord

Re: Hello and Welcome *PLEASE READ* <---- Actually don't

Postby james11 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:32 am

Hi there
Oops i READ it :mrgreen:
james11

Postby Lynda » Wed May 04, 2011 8:06 am

Welcome to the forum, James.
Lynda

Postby james11 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:29 am

Oh thanks lynda :)
james11

Postby Nick » Thu May 05, 2011 10:41 am

That's a welcome from me too!

Lynda is the polite one round here.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu May 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Only when I'm in the mood. :D
Lynda

Postby james11 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey thanks Nick. :geek: Its nice to be here .
.And please keep updating tips to make up lynda's mood._________ Politeness is must in discussions :)
james11

Postby Lynda » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Welcome to Jack
Lynda

Postby Byron » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Well dear Nick, i read your post. Its quite nice.
Byron

Postby Eli65 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum. I know that forums are a good place to learn and interact with other people , so that People can share their experience with each other. I have read many threads of this forum which are really useful and full of information so I decided to join this community.
Eli65

Postby Steve Griff » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Eli65 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum. I know that forums are a good place to learn and interact with other people , so that People can share their experience with each other. I have read many threads of this forum which are really useful and full of information so I decided to join this community.

Welcome Ele65, is that your given name, if so your mother must have quite a sense of humour, judging by your Avatar picture of a face only a mother could love she has :)

All that standing round on street corners wasnt in vain as she eventually caught.
Steve Griff

Postby keith » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 am

STEVE YOU HAVE A WICKED SENSE OF HUMOUR.

I think our new friedn would make more money as a lookalike for Rowan Atkinson perhaps we should suggest that to him.
keith

Next

Return to Welcome and Help