Greetings

Please introduce yourself here, read a little about this Forum, & how to use it. Report any problems, ask questions.

Greetings

Postby m4c » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi to all - I arrived here by following a thread over from PT - but now I've read that Rich isn't there any more, sad to hear it, but dont want to start any politics!

I'm not in London, yet... I'm based 10 mins south of Heathrow, have one house let out by the room, and am busy bringing it up to spec to comply with current regs before I inform the relevant local authorities.

Day job is on site as a carpenter - I think that they call me an 'improver' -which means there's a hell of a lot of improvement I need to do, before I'm a carpenter you could trust with anything other than skirting, architrave and the odd kitchen wall cabinet :)

Am just beginning my 'career' as a landlord so keen to learn from the experience, mistakes and learned wisdom of those who have trodden the same path.

Respect to Nick for I know how much work and energy goes into to maintaining a healthy forum,
and to Rich for leading me here - I'm a long way behind you but keen to get on with refurbishing my 1st property, and more to follow,
and to the other members of the forum, I hope to add to the group knowledge as time allows.

Regards
Jason
m4c

Re: Greetings

Postby Steve Griff » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Welcome Jason, a friendly old bunch you have found here, not everyone is in London, I myself am West of the big smoke and the world doesn't revolve around it, well done on your first HMO and watch out for all the different Regs, is it licensable? Steve
Steve Griff

Postby m4c » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Steve,

griffo wrote:... watch out for all the different Regs, is it licensable? Steve

thanks for the welcome - no it's just a standard 2 storey, 4 bed - and we've just cut the living room in half to make a 5th bedroom.

Now I'm just sifting thru the reams of info online to work out the best way to approach the required smoke / fire detectors etc.

- is it to go wired throughout, and swallow the extra expense, but sleep well in the knowledge it should always be working
- or try to save some time & money and fit a wireless system

All opinions welcome :)
m4c

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi Jason,

You are very welcome - and probably brave posting in the Welcome section, I've never plucked up courage to do that myself when I've joined a new Forum, I tend to slide around keeping my head below the parapet!

Later when I have a few moments I'll give you access to the Whine Cellar (or W.C. for short). It's a private area - anyone who joins here for any period & turns out not to be a spammer, or transient, is given access but the posts aren't visible to the internet at large - so it's somewhere members can say stuff to other members & never worry about who might read it.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Steve Griff » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm no HMO expert Jason, but I think there are various specific regulations to comply with, especially fire regs, your local council will usually have a fire officer or similar to point you in the right direction, but beware when you involve officialdom you will have to comply quickly to their whims, almost certainly a wireless alarm won't comply, it will have to be a linked syatem, probably inspected each year and certified, with the correct fire doors, closers etc.
Steve Griff

Postby m4c » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:06 am

griffo wrote: but beware when you involve officialdom you will have to comply quickly to their whims, almost certainly a wireless alarm won't comply, it will have to be a linked syatem, probably inspected each year and certified, with the correct fire doors, closers etc.

Thanks - yes I'd forgotten about closers - but just had a quick scoot around the web and no, they are no longer required on standard residential builds - but I had forgotten about the intumescent strip around the door lining - now I've already fitted it I'll have to router it out in situ!

and you're right about 'officialdom' - I dont want them anywhere near, at least until I think I've done everything I have too :) I've got the relevant pages on my local borough council website, so will trawl thru them to start with.

Hi Nick,
You are very welcome - and probably brave posting in the Welcome section, I've never plucked up courage to do that myself when I've joined a new Forum, I tend to slide around keeping my head below the parapet!

I always figured it best to jump straight in and make a fool of myself early on - you know it's going to happen sometime, so get it out of the way asap!

Regards
Jason
m4c

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:21 am

Jason,

I hope these are actually fire doors that you are going to fit the strips to? 8-)

If you haven't already, I suggest you get hold of the national guidance on fire safety in residential accommodation which has applied since July 2008. I have found it really helpful in spelling out what your local authority will expect. Hard copies of the guidance are also available to purchase for £20 a copy with free postage and packing but you can download it free here.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby m4c » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:53 am

Nick wrote:I hope these are actually fire doors that you are going to fit the strips to? 8-)

... but you can download it free here.

Yes it is a fire door :)
but that the link you provided is goes to an error page...
- I imagine they shifted things around - I have had a look thru lots of the documents on that site, but amazingly there is no search facility - could you pls send the actual title so i can search google
m4c

Postby Lynda » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Welcome Jason
Lynda

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Jason,

The link works fine for me.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

I get an error page too, Nick.
Lynda

Postby m4c » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 am

Hi Nick,

Nick wrote:The link works fine for me.

I dont want to be a pain, but I still cant see that file - I get a 'file not specified' msg returned when I click the link, and the same when I try to save it...

This is where it goes to: http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/upload/19175.pdf

I wrote to someone who referenced the document in another part of the site, but their email bounced, so I wrote to some head of department requesting they direct me to the right person - but got a reply that says the original organisation ceased operating in April 2011, that they are under resourced, and that the information is really only for Local Authorities, not the 'general public'!

Any ideas?
thanks in advance
Jason
m4c

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 am

You are right, it isn't working. I will build a web page so that you and others can download it. I have some other useful stuff to put up there too.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby m4c » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 pm

I just found the document by clicking a link to it, in the LACORS press release here:
http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/NewsArt ... x?id=19844

the URL is the same as the link you provided - maybe there's a block on their server to stop people linking in...

- anyhow, it's finally starting to give me some clarity on what I need to do
- my LA website states:
"There shall be provided such means of escape from fire and other fire precautions as the Council considers necessary after consultation with the Surrey Fire and Rescue Service"
- so I called Surrey Fire and Rescue, and the officer there told me they didn't really deal with, and I should talk to housing enforcement... but I pushed him and he finally started to quote the LACORS guidance - and part way thru the 84 pages, I've found it!
ie:
Shared house HMO of up to two storeys (shared cooking facilities) requires
A Grade D system with LD3 coverage + additional detection to the kitchen...

Which means:
Grade D: a system of one or more mains-powered smoke (or heat) alarms each with integral battery standby supply.
These are designed to operate in the event of mains failure and therefore could be connected to the local lighting circuit rather than an independent circuit at the dwelling’s main distribution board. There is no control panel.

LD3 coverage: a system incorporating detectors in circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling only.
+ additional detection to the kitchen, lounge and any cellar containing a risk (interlinked)

Therefore, for a two storey / non-licensed HMO, I dont need a linked alarm in each bedroom - so £10 battery ones will suffice, I do need 3-4 linked, mains-powered detectors and alarms for the kitchen, exits and common parts...

But as I am thinking of keeping this first house as a BnB - I will require LD2 coverage which also means a linked alarm in each bedroom too!

Wow - that was hard work :dance:
m4c

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Glad you found it, I may still upload some stuff. Sorry it's taking time!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Chalmers » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 am

Hi.....

I am also a new member here....
I hope for my positive approach and participation here...
Chalmers

Postby Lynda » Thu May 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Lynda

Return to Welcome and Help