Premiership Football

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Re: Premiership Football

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Sorry Lynda, but maybe this quote might raise a smile:

"I've got to play him, really, because I met him out shopping with his mum the other day. She was quite a big girl so I've got to play him. I wasn't going to mess with her, believe you me." Mrs Palacios ensures son Wilson is given a rare start by Spurs boss Harry Redknapp.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 pm

It did when I first heard it on Sky Sports News a couple of days ago.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:10 pm

A nice bit of controversy to look forward to on Match of the Day!

“What a farcical way to finish a game,” the Tottenham manager argued. “It was deliberate handball. The referee obviously didn’t see Nani handball it, so that’s why he let play go on. The assistant has seen it, that’s why he flagged. So the referee should disallow the goal.

“How can he give a goal? If Nani has put his hands on the ball, he should be booked, to start with — then it’s a free-kick. If you look at [Darren] Fletcher, he is telling Nani to get back into position, because he thinks we’re going to counter-attack. It’s a free-kick. So Gomes has put the ball down and taken it.”

But Sir Alex Ferguson took the opposite view, laying the blame squarely at Gomes’s feet. “He made a mess of it,” the United manager said. “The referee played on, because the goalkeeper had possession of the ball. So the goalkeeper has made an error.
"It was bizarre. No-one knew at the time what was wrong. One minute the goalkeeper had the ball in his hands and next it's in his net," Ferguson told ESPN.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... fford.html
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 pm

The referee didn't see it and didn't blow for the handball.

And what's more if you watch the footage Nani Clearly says something to the ref and I believe he said play on, the linesman then puts his flag up after the ball has gone in the net.

Now IMHO the linesman should have flagged for the handball, but as kids are taught "play to the whistle"
keith

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:06 am

keith wrote:The referee didn't see it and didn't blow for the handball.

I disagree. But the whole thing is a comedy of errors. I think the ref decided that Nani was fouled, but not well enough to award a penalty, especially in the light of Nani's making the most of the foul. Nani then handled the ball, lay on the floor & stamped his feet like a 2 year old. :lol: I think the Ref saw all that and correctly decided not to make a meal of things, especially as Spurs were chasing an equaliser. Had he blown up Spurs would have moaned about the loss of time, but also it would have forced the decision about whether to give a penalty. He was happy to let play continue.

keith wrote:if you watch the footage Nani Clearly says something to the ref and I believe he said play on

Yep that's the point at which Gomez was incredibly slow on the uptake. Presumably Nani is worried that if he kicks the ball into the goal he will get booked for timewasting, so he checks with the ref.

keith wrote:Now IMHO the linesman should have flagged for the handball, but as kids are taught "play to the whistle"

Yes the linesman put himself at fault, but the ref was consistent. You might disagree with what he tried to do, but the people at fault were the linesman & Gomez. Fortunately it wasn't a result changing event, just an amusing piece of entertainment.

I'm disappointed that Willow hasn't come to tell us about Wolves beating City :D
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Willow » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm

:D £100 000 000 strike line up - that's pretty much more than the entire Wolves squad. Makes up for Man U's spawny 89th minute goal the other night.

Re: the Man U / spurs match - Linesman and ref should be disciplined for poor officiating, Ferdinand should've been booked for dissent and the Spurs goalie needs a slap for quite literally taking his eye off the ball. Hand ball and childish diving aside, Nani did nothing wrong in taking the opportunity that presented itself. 'Twas entertaining though :lol:
Willow

Postby Nick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 am

Willow wrote::D £100 000 000 strike line up - that's pretty much more than the entire Wolves squad.

There's been some talk about McCarthy now changing Wolves' formation & style of play. A tough 2 matches coming up though! It's interesting in the Midlands - WBA would have been in a CL place had they beaten Blackpool, who are doing remarkably well themselves bearing in mind they don't have as much to spend on players as Wolves! :mrgreen:

Willow wrote:Linesman and ref should be disciplined for poor officiating, Ferdinand should've been booked for dissent

Ref did nothing wrong. Linesman should have flagged handball straight away, then the Ref would have played advantage keeping the game flowing & helping Spurs. Yes the Ref should have waved Ferdinand away, but he didn't, it not really of any significance.

In fact there is a very good point, which would have sorted this out to everyone's satisfaction. For a long time I've thought that football should follow Rugby's approach to "advantage" - the ref signals "I've seen the offence & am playing advantage", sometime later when he decides that he was right about there being an advantage he takes his hand down to indicate the advantage period is over. However if there is no advantage, the original offence is penalised.

Applying that in this case would have given Spurs the opportunity to get a quick clearance in, but given that they didn't take the advantage that they were given (big time! :lol: ) they could be awarded the original handball.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:58 am

Nani indulged in a bit of self-appreciation in a midst of arguments over his seventh goal of the season against Tottenham on Saturday as he claimed he is "one of the top players in the world".

Nani wrote:As a player I think I'm close to being as complete as I can be, now I can say I'm one of the top players in the world. I play for the best club in the world and my role in the team is as a decisive player, scoring goals or setting up and so the team can win. You have to believe in yourself and believe in your abilities on the pitch. Big games are for big players. I want to be one of the best. I'm not scared to play in the big games, they are the most beautiful in football - you play with very high quality. Beautiful football, that's what everyone likes. And that helps lift my performance too.

I have £3 on Nani to be the top scorer in the Premiership at 200/1. Last time I looked he was now 40/1.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Willow » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 pm

WBA would have been in a CL place
Don't swear :twisted:

Blackpool are doing exceptionally well - I hope they can keep it up.

Yes the Ref should have waved Ferdinand away, but he didn't, it not really of any significance.

I disagree with that - it was of significance and he should have booked him, not just waved him away. I really, really hate the way players shout at the ref or the linesmen and Ferdinand's behaviour was particularly bad. If a Sunday league player behaved like that, he would be sent off. Ferdinand hadn't really been involved in the original incident, none of the Spurs players - who potentially had more riding on the decision - felt the need to get in the refs face when he walked over to talk to the linesman. Ferdinand wasn't even speaking to them is calm measured manner - he was yelling like a rabid dog. If refs made more of an example of that type of behaviour with bookings, it would soon stop.

Like it or not, Premier League footballers are role models to kids and they need to start behaving like it. I think the FA should bring in the Rugby rule that only the captain should be allowed to speak to the ref.
Willow

Postby Nick » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:22 pm

Willow wrote:I disagree with that - it was of significance and he should have booked him, not just waved him away. I really, really hate the way players shout at the ref or the linesmen and Ferdinand's behaviour was particularly bad. If a Sunday league player behaved like that, he would be sent off. Ferdinand hadn't really been involved in the original incident, none of the Spurs players - who potentially had more riding on the decision - felt the need to get in the refs face when he walked over to talk to the linesman. Ferdinand wasn't even speaking to them is calm measured manner - he was yelling like a rabid dog. If refs made more of an example of that type of behaviour with bookings, it would soon stop.

Like it or not, Premier League footballers are role models to kids and they need to start behaving like it. I think the FA should bring in the Rugby rule that only the captain should be allowed to speak to the ref.

I agree with your view on the rugby rule, and I'm amazed at referees being chased round the pitch. If it were me I would stand my ground and say I'm going to listen to everyone who wants to influence my decision, but everyone who tries to gets booked. And I would then book each one. If the game ends two against two, so be it, but it wouldn't happen twice.

As far as Ferdinand was concerned you started viewing after I did. The ref was hounded by three Spurs players, and he took an age to get rid of them. Ferdinand appeared on the scene after the event, and after the Spurs players had disappeared convinced that they had won the decision. The ref didn't tell Ferdinand to go he just ignored him. Had he been told to go & ignored the instruction I would agree with you, but that isn't what happened. Rather like the hand ball, you can't judge events on what you like to have happened, you have to act on what DID happen. The ref DID play advantage, and DIDn't tell Ferdinand to get lost.

To flip it around how could you justify penalising the handball having waved play on? How could you justify booking Ferdinand without telling him to go away when you've just failed to book three Spurs players who you waved away and ignored your instruction?

Controversy part of life, what can't be acceptable is inconsistency.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Willow » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Nick wrote:To flip it around how could you justify penalising the handball having waved play on? How could you justify booking Ferdinand without telling him to go away when you've just failed to book three Spurs players who you waved away and ignored your instruction?

Controversy part of life, what can't be acceptable is inconsistency.

I didn't say that the handball should have been penalised after the ref waved play on :?

As far as Ferdinand was concerned you started viewing after I did. The ref was hounded by three Spurs players, and he took an age to get rid of them. Ferdinand appeared on the scene after the event, and after the Spurs players had disappeared convinced that they had won the decision.

I saw the spurs players having a go at the ref too, which I thought was equally bad, but, the goalie in particular did have a more of a valid reason for being a little wound up. I don't think the Spurs players did at that point think they'd won the decision because they would have continued to hound the ref while he was chatting to the linesman. I think more realistically the ref said back off or I'll book you, after all, having already essentially allowed the goal by not blowing whistle straight away to disallow, he had essentially accepted it -and (Arsenal penalty award aside) how often do refs really change their mind.

What I object to most about Ferdinand's behaviour was not just the way he went in after all the other players had moved off and the fact that he had been nowhere near the original incident - as you observed, appearing on the scene after the event - , but his clearly aggressive attitude. He was standing some distance away from the ref and clearly shouting very aggressively - he was practically foaming at the mouth - tis no way for an England captain to behave.

He reminded me of one of those people you see on Traffic Cops type programmes - you know, the ones where the police have gone to a volatile situation, had a row with the people involved and are just managing to calm things down when some random guy comes along pissed or drugged up to the eyeballs, with no involvement in the incident in question and starts having a go at the police, stirring up more trouble.
Willow

Postby Lynda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Basically, it all comes down to the fact that Clattenberg played to the letter of the law and not the spirit. He is one of the worst referees in the Premiership and is never fair.

I listened to a review of the situation by Dermot Gallagher who said that Clattenberg had several options to put things right - none of which he took.

What is done is done and can't be undone. Unfortunately, this is not the first time that Spurs have been on the wrong end of one of his poor decisions and I'm sure it won't be the last. The man is a disgrace but there is nothing the authorities can do about it.
Lynda

Postby keith » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Just had an idea how I can Berbatov to play better

stop him wearing Gloves,tights, polo necks etc.

If he's cold he just might run around to keep warm
keith

Postby Lynda » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Good point. :lol:
Lynda

Postby Briar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:57 pm

Well Stoke won Liverpool 2-0. :dance:

Shall have to go and change my team in Fantasy Footie - am way off the beaten track now......

I think your avatar looks like you, Lynda - she certainly is growing to be a beautiful little poppet - once you look under the icecream!!!!
Briar

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 am

An interesting weekend!

Even though Man U. lead the Premiership, Chelsea are still the betting favourites to win the league (2/1 & 8/5).

Well done Spurs - Liverpool looked good even without Gerrard, so that was a good win,

& of course well done Newcastle!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:37 am

And we did it without Jamie Carragher's help (he often scores an own goal for us). Lucky Skyrtl was there for us instead. :lol:
Lynda

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:55 am

Lynda wrote:And we did it without Jamie Carragher's help (he often scores an own goal for us)

A great quiz question for idle moments in pubs is:

Which current England International, and Premier League Player has scored more goals against Liverpool than anyone else ever?

They always struggle & come up with Defoe or Rooney, & you always get a belly laugh when you tell them it's Carragher.

I think the top scorer against MU last year was OG.

It was a cracking w/e & some great matches. We will all have our favourites, I was ill & in bed watching Chelsea/Newcastle. I must have dropped off to sleep because one minute it was Newcastle 1 Chelsea 0, the next it was Liverpool 1 Spurs 0 ! I was :shock: :? :roll:
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:48 pm

I told you that one!
Lynda

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 am

Gomez the Clown appears for Spurs again!

Great match though, I don't think I've ever seen Chelsea so entertaining. Spurs should have won, but it seems a fair result - an offside v a handball, and a great night's football.

So who will finish December Top?

Man United V Arsenal Tomorrow
Arsenal V Stoke City 18 Dec 15:00
Blackpool V Tottenham 19 Dec 13:30
Chelsea V Man Utd 19 Dec 16:00
Man City V Everton 20 Dec 20:00
Man Utd V Sunderland 26 Dec 15:00
Newcastle V Man City 26 Dec 15:00
Aston Villa V Tottenham 26 Dec 17:30
Arsenal V Chelsea 27 Dec 20:00
Man City V Aston Villa 28 Dec 15:00
Tottenham V Newcastle 28 Dec 15:00
Chelsea V Bolton 29 Dec 19:45

My predictions:

Man United 7 points Beating Arsenal & Sunderland, drawing at Chelsea who will have Drogba, Terry & Lampard in full cry..
Spurs 7 points I see them beating Villa & Newcastle, but not Blackpool. Maybe turn Newcastle & Blackpool round. Lots of great players coming back for Spurs.
Arsenal 4 points. Losing to United, Beating Stoke, but drawing against Chelsea, which would be a great result for Chelsea, again Chelsea will have Drogba, Terry & Lampard in full cry.
Man City 6 points I think they will lose to Newcastle. I really don't know how this Tevez thing will unfold - they have the strength in depth to shrug off Tevez going, & slot someone like Adabayor in, or else they could implode.
Chelsea 5 points beating Bolton. To be honest even though I've talked about the effect of Drogba, Terry & Lampard I think they will do well to get 5 points.

So that leaves the table at the end of the month:

1. Man U
  2. Man City
  3. Arsenal
  4. Chelsea
  5. Spurs

Nick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Clarendon