Premiership Football

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Re: Premiership Football

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 am

I think it's worrying when a 36 yr old is the best player on the pitch.

What did Babel do?

I'd like to see the police bring criminal charges for some of the violence that the ref misses, but the TV picks up on. (I can't believe I said that, I'm becoming Mr. Daily Mail).
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Babel forwarded via twitter a mocked up picture of Howard Webb in a Man utd Shirt. with a caption that said "And they call him one of the best referees. That's a joke"
keith

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Yes - that deserves a ban.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 pm

I can't see why games can't be reviewed by a couple of retired refs who look at things missed and issue the retrospective cards.

The issue then being if the player gets another card or had already received a card but stays on the pitch.

Either retrospective bans or fines could be applied.
keith

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 pm

I couldn't agree more. When the Ref misses something modern TV replay picks it up, everybody knows it happens, why shouldn't it be punished even though the ref missed it real time? Rugby has the citation system, football should have the same.

I also hate the current system where players go down to force the ref to award the penalty/free kick - as Berbatov in the Liverpool match. I would change the rule so that the decision is reversed where simulation takes place - so in the Berbatov case the Ref would signal that a foul was commited but play can continue because the player could have played on. I would also allow referees leeway on advantage (again like rugby) and let refs take play back to the offence if an advantage doesn't transpire, rather than the current system where once the ref has allowed advantage they are stuck with the decision. I'd also like to see players carded for arguing with the ref - the problem with that is that Rooney would be sent off every game!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:59 am

Dermot Gallagher often appears on Sky and explains why a ref made a particular decision and what his other options would have been.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 am

Good match on this weekend Lynda - are you going?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm

IMHO refs also need to start players who go down under a tackle grabbing the ball ( often to force the ref to award the kick ) as deliberate handball.

BTW nearly 2-1 on Torres scoring tonight on betfair, that one gave me a pretty quick result
keith

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Well done, I wouldn't have taken that myself given Torres' run of form. He is in my fantasy team as I think he is a rich talent, but I had been on the point of dropping him - maybe I should hang fire?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 pm

73 mins & Loserpool living up to their name ........
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Blackpool concede a lot of goals so he had a fair chance

now I'm off to bet the winnings on a sending off in the Liverpool derby.

Really strange, I'm sure / know I placed 2 bets last night one on Song scoring and at least 4 goals in the game

just been in and checked and the bets have gone - vanished - not a problem Bruce they was losers the both
Last edited by keith on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith

Postby keith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Dalgleish

the most consistent manager in the league

loses every game be it cup or league and by 1 goal

Must be the worst Premier league manager ever I don't believe anyone has ever managed a 100% loss rate before
keith

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Maybe your bets weren't matched?

Well I won 4p on the Liverpool game - I backed the scores of 2-1 & 2-2 with 10 mins to go.

I've also laid Arsenal at 2.86 to not be top at the month end. I have a feeling it was a robot that took the bet.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Nick,

watch the footbal league show if you get 1/2 a chance young Evans ( cory ) is out on loan at Hull and looks pretty good
keith

Postby keith » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:07 pm

BTW Nick ypou seem the scores of my FFL front line this week !

Torres, Berbatov and RVP

And Dempsey in midfield !
keith

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:42 pm

keith wrote:BTW Nick ypou seem the scores of my FFL front line this week !

Torres, Berbatov and RVP

And Dempsey in midfield !

Grief! I'm really pissed off because I've had Torres as my captain for months, and last week I used my wild card & sacked him & Meriles !!!!!!!!! I got slaughtered during the snow cancellations, one week I got 4 points as no one in my team played (well few). This week I packed my team with Man U & Blackpool as they both play twice in the week (although it's a bad strategy to have your defenders playing your attackers) so I have 8 players who will score again, so I am hopeful of beating my high score which is still half of what you just scored this week! - I thought that your score must put you top of the week - but there are loads of people who have scored 110+ - I used to be happy with 30! I've just noticed that you have 5 players playing again!

At least my betting seems to be coming to fruition, tho there is nothing big money. I have £7 at 16/1 on Man U to go the season undefeated & it's becoming tempting to cover some of that with bets on teams to beat them, I was attracted by odds of 100-1 that their 1st defeat would be away at Spurs, but on further research ........ they don't play Spurs away now! That explains the odds somewhat!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:40 pm

Just to take this completely OT

I've been reading that Andy Gray was on £32K a week ( £1,700,000 a year ), now even allowing for the fact he was one of the better pundits paying a commentator more than most players is IMHO obscene - But if SKY wann get in touch and offer me the job I'll take it for 50% of What he was paid, and accept only being paid during the footy season
keith

Postby keith » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm

ERR

Nick given the score laying some of that United off may be a good idea
keith

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:08 am

I read that Gray was on £7 million a year and having read all about him and his unpleasant habits, I'm surprised he lasted so long at Sky.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 pm

keith wrote:Nick given the score laying some of that United off may be a good idea

Saved from making that mistake by having been miles from a PC enjoying a complimentary meal & pissup!

There is a lack of logic at work in the odds - Utd were 8/1 going undefeated, but having won another game (which ought to shorten the odds IMHO) they've moved out to 11/1 or you can back Villa to beat them at 21/2 or get 11/1 that Villa will be the first team to beat them (same bet, different odds!).

I did extremely well at fantasy league this week - double my normal score. the trouble is that everyone else did even better (especially your good self! :evil: )
Nick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Clarendon