Women Will Pay the Price for Sorting Out the Economy

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Re: Women Will Pay the Price for Sorting Out the Economy

Postby Lynda » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:43 am

I think an obesity officer is needed where I now live. I look like an anorexic compared to everyone else I've seen in the area.
Lynda

Postby REI » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Lynda wrote:I think an obesity officer is needed where I now live. I look like an anorexic compared to everyone else I've seen in the area.

I did not think you were anorexic. You hide it well. The others must be really large.

Too bad the NHS has to cover people for self-inflicted abuse.
John B. Corey Jr.
25+ years of REI, US & UK.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter-> www.twitter.com/john_corey
REI

Postby Lynda » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:17 pm

They are very, very large. I'm a healthy size 12 and weigh 9 stones - which seems to be average for my height and age.
Lynda

Postby REI » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Lynda,

For some reason I thought it was Nick making the comment. Hence I was replying as if I was speaking to Nick and not you. I figured he was making a joke. Sorry about the confusion.
John B. Corey Jr.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
REI

Postby Lynda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Oh dear! Perhaps I should change my user name to something that is a little less like "Nick".
Lynda

Postby REI » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Lynda wrote:Oh dear! Perhaps I should change my user name to something that is a little less like "Nick".

It could be the photos the two of you use.
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Lynda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Insult me all you like but do not insult my granddaughter!
Lynda

Postby REI » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:48 am

Lynda wrote:Insult me all you like but do not insult my granddaughter!

No one would know it is her. The signals is she is Lynda. There could be no insult concerning her in such a situation.
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Lynda » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:46 pm

She is only 9 months old now. In that photo she was about 8 months. I would have thought it might occur to you that she wouldn't be old enough to be a member of this forum.

But perhaps that answers a lot of my questions. :lol:
Lynda

Postby REI » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Lynda wrote:She is only 9 months old now. In that photo she was about 8 months. I would have thought it might occur to you that she wouldn't be old enough to be a member of this forum.

But perhaps that answers a lot of my questions. :lol:

You assume too much.

All I know is Lynda chose that photo to be her avatar. For all I know the photo is Lynda. When Lynda looked like that could be last month or a long, long time ago.

The owner of the account chooses their avatar and it is for them to decide 'the face' they want the public to see. What the public thinks when they see the photo will vary.

Maybe the photo is good likeness or maybe it is closer to what Nick uses (i.e., scary or marketing hype).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:45 pm

REI wrote:
Maybe the photo is good likeness or maybe it is closer to what Nick uses (i.e., scary or marketing hype).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Laughing Buddha isn't supposed to be scary!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Briar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 pm

You are all barmy!!! I hope you don't think I look like my avatar!! :lol: :lol:

But of course I do 8-)
Briar

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:40 pm

The Fawcett Society, which campaigns for gender equality, is asking Mr Justice Ouseley, sitting in London, for permission to seek a High Court declaration that the June budget is unlawful and must be reconsidered.

The society argues women are disproportionately affected because more women than men rely on the welfare benefits that are being cut, and the changes to the tax system favour far more men than women.

Karon Monaghan QC, representing the society, told the judge that, of the £8.1 billion in savings raised by the budget, £5.7 billion was being born by women - "72% as against 28% for men."

Ms Monaghan said: "Top-line analysis demonstrates a grossly disproportionate and devastating impact so far as women are concerned."

http://www.24dash.com/news/communities/ ... tt-Society
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:10 am

Nick wrote:
The Fawcett Society, which campaigns for gender equality, is asking Mr Justice Ouseley, sitting in London, for permission to seek a High Court declaration that the June budget is unlawful and must be reconsidered.

The society argues women are disproportionately affected because more women than men rely on the welfare benefits that are being cut, and the changes to the tax system favour far more men than women.

Karon Monaghan QC, representing the society, told the judge that, of the £8.1 billion in savings raised by the budget, £5.7 billion was being born by women - "72% as against 28% for men."

Ms Monaghan said: "Top-line analysis demonstrates a grossly disproportionate and devastating impact so far as women are concerned."

http://www.24dash.com/news/communities/ ... tt-Society

Is the problem an artifact of biology? Women give birth and are therefore more likely to need support when there are young children. Harder for women to work if they are juggling child care.

There is a point in the process where you cannot make everything equal. Tall vs. short, people who live up North vs. down South. We can offer something that is broadly fair but not equal given none of us are exactly the same (genes and prior experiences).

It might be argued that the cuts in benefits will impact those on benefits vs. those who have a job. Does that make it unfair to folks who have jobs?

Equal opportunity vs. equal results? How should we define 'equal'?
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Willow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Is the problem an artifact of biology? Women give birth and are therefore more likely to need support when there are young children. Harder for women to work if they are juggling child care.

I didn't realise that giving birth automatically equated to having to be the main carer of the child?

Surely one of the main problems with society is that women are the ones that are expected to juggle the childcare, by virtue of biology, whereas in a truly fair society, the childcare would be equally shared between the sexes. It is a sad fact that men that choose to be stay at home dads are often viewed with such distrust / sympathy.

It is not an artifact of biology, it is the fact that society has chosen to use biology to justify the subjugation of women generally over the generations.

It is true that something like 75% of women would choose to stay at home and raise their children if it were financially viable (which probably is an artifact of biology / instinct). However, society desperately needs to realise that raising children is a job (and a perfectly valid one) in its own right and recognise that financially and through flexibility. These budget cuts take away much of the progress that has been made towards this goal.

I know those without children often argue that they should not be responsible for paying taxes to help those who do have children. However, they should remember that it will be those children that will be providing the money for their pensions / free bus pass / NHS care / social care when they reach old age - particularly as they won't have their own kids to rely on for their care.
Willow

Postby Lynda » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Hear, Hear!
Lynda

Postby Briar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:37 pm

After being out of action for the last two months - it is taking an age to catch up!!

I am in full agreement with Willow here. :roll:
Briar

Postby keith » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:11 pm

What about free prescriptions in Scotland and wales surely reverse racism
keith

Previous

Return to The Clarendon