Thank God the Government is in Charge of Grit.

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Thank God the Government is in Charge of Grit.

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:46 am

Last Winter we had a problem with snow, ice, roads & stuff - you know the once in a generation weather conditions scenario.

We were left to dig our own way out, & grit the roads ourselves. We couldn’t do much to clear the road because whilst the grit bin was full, once you got half way down the grit was one massive solid lump. We did our best with the half bin available. When the council workmen came round filling up the bins I pointed out the problem to them, and they did their best to break up the lump, but in the end they just filled the empty half and left the problem in situ. The easiest solution would be to replace the bin with a new bin .... but hey, I'm not a road transport engineer so what do I know?

However ..... we have this really great District Councillor. Why is he great? - Well he's a Green Party member, and as we all know, the Greens are never going to get into government or rule anything, so he does the job for the simple reason that he wants the community to be better. It means that he hangs around the pub, weeds the allotments, speaks to people, goes to planning meetings, writes a blog, and I can e-mail him about our Grit Bin ......... which I did 3 months ago. And being the efficient concerned person that he is, he raised it with local government who committed to sort the issue out.

Of course they didn't, but am I annoyed? No of course not. Councils all over the country are running out of grit. Welsh councils can use 12,000 tonnes of road salt on the roads in 24 hours, while salt mines could only provide the UK with up to 6,000 tonnes in the same period.

I'm just grateful that the people who weren't able to anticipate Winter given 12 months notice haven't been put in charge of something important like running a hospital, or educating our children .......

Any nominations forthe "B" Arc?
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Thank God the Government is in Charge of Grit.

Postby REI » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 pm

What would be success?

At what point is it better to leave the sun to do the job and just have people stay home?

Some of the time safety means people should avoid a dangerous situation rather than expect everything works the same in sunshine or with snow/ice.
John B. Corey Jr.
25+ years of REI, US & UK.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter-> www.twitter.com/john_corey
REI

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:32 pm

I understand your view that we have a sufficiently benign climate that we shouldn't gear up like Switzerland - but equally the news that we are now importing grit from Sweden can't be the best solution either?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:47 am

Nick wrote:I understand your view that we have a sufficiently benign climate that we shouldn't gear up like Switzerland - but equally the news that we are now importing grit from Sweden can't be the best solution either?

Actually it might be.

To buy emergency supplies as and when there is an emergency might be more cost effective than stocking up and then having the stock sit. No idea if the material degrades with time when not used.

Clearly the UK gets snow in some locations every year. There is also the idea that certain vital services need to be ready under all conditions. Hence it makes sense to have some supply. What I do not understand is why people think snow should be a non-event in terms of travel.

I grew up with the stuff and every winter we would have snow days. It was just part of the planning. People would switch into snow mode and that meant going out less, having some stock in the house, etc. In Maine, further north from where I grew up, people would keep a sleeping blanket and some water/food in the car just in case they got stuck in a storm. Better to sleep in the car than to die was the logic.

There are some risks that can not be avoided. How well you recover should be the focus.
John B. Corey Jr.
25+ years of REI, US & UK.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter-> www.twitter.com/john_corey
REI

Postby keith » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Perhaps Businesses over here should also not pressure staff to attend in severe conditions ie heavy snow falling etc, also they should obey such things as the offices shops and railway premises act with the minimum office temperatures.

After all we have Health and safety telling us no to do things that are Stupid, or safe yet working in an unheated building with a risk of hypothermia that's OKm friving 30 miles to work on solid ice that's OK.
keith

Postby Lynda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

All the main roads around here are clear but our road still has a thick sheet of solid ice because hardly any traffic has used it. I imagine most minor roads are in a similar condition.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:05 am

Lynda,

Out in the countryside we only have minor roads.

Your first winter & your first Xmas in your new home .....
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:43 pm

It's almost as bad in Buckhurst Hill. We are still managing to live life normally despite the weather. The new car is very handy for bad weather. The heated windscreen is a real boon.

Actually, although the snow is deeper here, walking is easier because there is so much grass and I always feel safer on grass. It's possible to go for a nice long walk without having to negotiate more than a few metres of path or road.

The move was definitely a good thing and we're even happier than we expected. We haven't finished all the work yet - still the hall/staircase and study to decorate and some more carpentry to be done but they can wait until after Christmas.

I'm still trying to work out how my smaller kitchen can accommodate more than the older, bigger one. I suppose it must be better planned.

It's also very handy having a small supermarket within a 100 metres. Even in the worst weather, we shan't be short of supplies.
Lynda

Postby Lynda » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Finally after eleven days, we're beginning to see some thawing. It's lovely to see puddles instead of solid sheets of ice or compacted snow and refrozen slush.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:23 pm

How many chickens have you got up to?

It's going to get colder .....
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Yes, I know that but I'm glad we've got rid of the first lot before the next lot begins.

It seems that snowy winters are here to stay for the forseeable future and the sooner we all get used to the idea and accept the inevitable, the better.
Lynda

Postby keith » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Of course under Labour plentiful supplies of grit would be available in Summer, and the bins would be put in storage over winter in case they were damaged by frost, and snowploughs would not go out as it would contravene health and safety to drive a snow plough with the blade down on icy/snowy roads
keith

Postby Lynda » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 am

:lol:
Lynda

Return to The Clarendon