Spending a penny, what's your chosen throne?

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Spending a penny, what's your chosen throne?

Postby Don » Wed May 04, 2011 8:01 am

The humble loo, it's not something you give alot of thought even though we spend much of our lives there.

So, still in the planning stages of throwing caution to the wind and losing myself to an alternative lifestyle I realised I need to address this little problem.

I will be giving up the pristing white ceramic bog and looking for an easy to manage system, I'll no longer be able to flush and forget and I realise food will be repeating on me in ways I'd never imagined :shock:

There will be no more quick visits to the khazi where I can push buttons to clean the lav, clean my hands, dry my hands.... leave, forget...
So first hurdle for this ex-londoner going green, battles with the bog (I feel a blog coming on) :lol:

My very laid back and lovely partner has the answer,http://www.compostingtoilet.org.uk/html/mobile_use.html, will cost around £600 and offers a very eco-friendly way of dealing with this little issue :D

Um, it can't be any worse than a Koi filtration system..... can it? :pray:
Don

Re: Spending a penny, what's your chosen throne?

Postby Nick » Wed May 04, 2011 5:37 pm

I visited the Centre for Alternative Technology a few years ago.

The had a few demonstrations for composting human waste set up, quite amazing.

If you want your compost toilet to break down the solids quickly, then you should do your best to stop urine getting in. Urine is nutritious; containing 50% of the phosphorous, and 80% of the nitrogen that is normally contained in your sewage, so you need to make a choice about whether you want to collect it as a resource, or just avoid it getting into the toilet. It's also sterile when it's fresh - less problematic to handle.......

Read more ....
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Spending a penny, what's your chosen throne?

Postby Don » Wed May 04, 2011 7:24 pm

That's handy, thanks Nick :D
:think:
Don

Return to The Clarendon