Why are Women Equal?

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Why are Women Equal?

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:18 am

I like history & seeing the step changes in society are triggered by things that didn't seem so significant at the time.

In 1971, a third of all working women in the United States were secretaries, and they could see that word processing would have an impact on their careers. Some manufacturers, according to a Times article, urged that "the concept of 'word processing' could be the answer to Women's Lib advocates' prayers. Word processing will replace the 'traditional' secretary and give women new administrative roles in business and industry."

A 1971 article said that "Some [secretaries] see W/P as a career ladder into management; others see it as a dead-end into the automated ghetto; others predict it will lead straight to the picket line." The National Secretaries Association, which defined secretaries as people who "can assume responsibility without direct supervision," feared that W/P would transform secretaries into "space-age typing pools." The article considered only the organizational changes resulting from secretaries operating word processors rather than typewriters; the possibility that word processors might result in managers creating documents without the intervention of secretaries was not considered—not surprising in an era when few but secretaries possessed keyboarding skills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_processor#History

33% of working women were secretaries - that's quite some statistic! What changed everything?
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Why are Women Equal?

Postby Lynda » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Word Processing meant that trained typists could do their jobs in about 25% of the time it used to take. Bearing in mind there are always a lot of standard letters that used to have be typed but after WP came along, templates were retrieved and new addresses put in.

This time saving meant that secretaries were free to do more challenging jobs and often the mundane typing was given to those who couldn't touch type but had enough common sense to produce passable letters with the help of a spell-checker.

I used to train people to use WP in the early 80s and a lot of them were men who would never have been seen sitting in front of a typewriter.
Lynda

Postby Briar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:46 pm

The true answer is:-

BECAUSE THEY ARE!!

It's just a pity that they aren't paid the same for the same job. Mind you, I am not a womens libber - I think men should do the work and women should look after the home and children. Children come first in my book - nowadays money has overtaken................ :clap:
Briar

Postby Lynda » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:38 pm

That's a luxury few couples can afford these days, Briar. My younger son and his partner struggle without her wages but they are determined that she won't go back to work until the girls go to school.

My other daughter-in-law is looking in to taking up child minding whilst staying at home to look after the new baby - due in late March. She's a primary school teacher so she should be good at that.
Lynda

Postby slagthemoff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Women are equal???

God help us - that means there are twice as many stupid people on the planet...

:shock:
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm

slagthemoff wrote:Women are equal???

God help us - that means there are twice as many stupid people on the planet...

:shock:

:lol:

What are you doing in here? - Go & solve some technical problems in the Geek section! (e.g. tell me how to get rid of "xmlns:og="http://opengraphprotocol.org/schema/" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" )
Nick
Site Admin

Postby slagthemoff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Sorry - just felt like a little contentious was good 8-)

On it boss ;)
slagthemoff

Postby Briar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Your sons have found fabulous girls, Lynda. Well into taking care of the children first - I admire that. We struggled, but were very happy. Lovely - a new baby next Spring eh? :dance:
Briar

Postby keith » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Interestingly or not when my wife wanted a batch of letters produced she found different spelling mistakes in the text implying that even in 2011 some people don't understand mail merge and templates and retype every document from scratch.
keith

Postby Briar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:55 pm

Hahahaha - that's because they rely on spellcheck - but there are very few secretaries left in the country today. Most people have to compute for themselves, they no longer have PAs or secretaries.

Grammar and spelling are a thing of the past, sad to say.

I had a letter from the building society when we paid off our mortgage:-

It included the phrase "However, interest will become due at 1p per day from that date until the balance is paid in fool."
Briar

Postby Lynda » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Briar wrote:Your sons have found fabulous girls, Lynda. Well into taking care of the children first - I admire that. We struggled, but were very happy. Lovely - a new baby next Spring eh? :dance:

Yes, three in three years is quite good going.

I decided before the girls were born that I'd prefer to be called Gran than nanny - didn't want to sound like a goat. Evie addressed me for the first time today - she called me Nanoo so dignity seems to have flown out of the window.
Lynda

Postby Briar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:55 am

This is a picture of my very new great-nephew - he is my god-daughter's son and is four days old here. :dance:

He is such a contented little chap too. Wonder how long that will last............. :shock:

Briar

Postby Lynda » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:16 am

He's gorgeous, Briar.
Lynda

Postby Briar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:43 pm

I suppose his Mum's just proved - women are not EQUAL - they are SUPERIOR!!! :lol:
Briar

Postby Nick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:49 am

Here's in what occupations women said they were employed for the 1881 census.

7,167,412 Returned by Property, Rank and not by Special Occupation
1,763,207 Children under five years of age

1,230,406 Indoor Servant
357,995 Milliner, Dressmaker, Staymaker
302,367 Cotton Manufacture
176,670 Washing and Bathing Service
94,241 Schoolmistresses
92,474 Charwoman
81,865 Shirtmaker, Seamstress
63,801 Worsted Manufacture
58,501 Woollen Cloth Manufacture
52,980 Tailor