R.I.P. Gary Speed

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

R.I.P. Gary Speed

Postby Lynda » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:36 pm

A very sad loss to football.
Lynda

Re: R.I.P. Gary Speed

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Indeed, Claire is gutted - she would have married Gary given half a chance - she had a big poster of him over her bed, I found it most off putting! Semi-joke, she had his picture in her kitchen and is a great great fan. Such a shame as he had so much to live for, lovely family, and every sign that he was going to go from one successful career to another as Wales seem to have started a winning streak.

I notice all the press is about the great player, and man that he was, but nothing about what led to this. I'm assuming that it's a mental issue rather than some shame about to be revealed and I wonder whether this high profile event will lead to a debate about mental illness. I think it's needed, I am sure there is more that could be done for people in that position - if you think about it, if nothing was done to help Gary the ordinary man in the street stands no chance.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:12 pm

I saw a post on Facebook earlier that there may be a secret life to be revealed.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:25 pm

My betting is on mental illness - maybe because I know of 3 people who suffered in the same way. Suffered isn't the right word, as they both achieved what they wanted, but they left friends and family hurt and confused because there were no signs, or warning, or reason.

People with secrets, or shame, tend to stick around & deal with things one way or another.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Those were my thought too. All the other footballers whose secrets came out seemed to weather the storm.

A schoolfriend of my elder son committed suicide about 18 months ago and outwardly he seemed like a well adjusted and successful young man but he suffered with manic depression and not even his parents knew.
Lynda

Postby slagthemoff » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:32 pm

I'm not a great football fan but a premature death is always sad so condolences to his family.

I sincerely hope nothing comes to light that gives the media what I'm sure they would hope for...
slagthemoff

Postby Lynda » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 pm

I never believe half of what I read in the newspapers anyway.

One of the things that gets me really annoyed is when journalists print a celebrity's age - they rarely get it right. People who were older than me back in the 70s now appear to be younger.
Lynda

Postby slagthemoff » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:44 pm

*** Shock ***

You're not (***Gulp***) older than me???

Erm, I don't remember the sixties but I've been told I was there...
slagthemoff

Postby Lynda » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 am

I was a teenager in the sixties and strangely enough I remember it all so well. The oddest thing though is that I never came across any drugs even though I went to college in the late sixties.
Lynda

Return to The Clarendon