Armistice

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Armistice

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks to Rob Hubbard who I pinched the idea & photo from.

Nick
Site Admin

Armistice

Postby Rob H » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Thought it very poignant. Cathy and I attended our local parade and service this morning. I find it very emotional and always have a strong willing to be there to pay my respects to those who allow me a free life to do what I feel and when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob
Rob H

Re: Armistice

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Yes - this year it has been more poignant for many people, although I don't really know why. Maybe it is the rising casualty toll in Afghanistan, or the many competitors from the paralympics?

I posted on Facebook because I had a sudden realisation that there are certain quite important things that only I know - for instance that my Grandfather's brother died in an unknown place in an unknown way, and that after the war my grandfather went on a pilgrimage to try to find his brother's resting place. I'm pretty certain that I am the only person to know this, just as I think that I am the only person to know that my father was trained as a spy for the Far East, and got flu just before the boat sailed, so it went without him. The boat sailed into Singapore just as it fell, and everyone on the boat died in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. I owe my life to flu, and must remember to tell my children.
Nick
Site Admin

Armistice

Postby Rob H » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:54 pm

I read your story on FB. The Singapore connection (or not!) is amazing, truly.

Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 pm

I think life in the early 20th Century was very simple, and straight forward. Heroism was clear and unsophisticated, and consequently people were happy to lay down their lives for their beliefs. Certainly my local War Memorial carries the names of complete families - my Facebook post only carries the Parkin names, but I also happen to know of an In-Law also named Lesley Goodway, who died - I have seen a letter which implied that he had a long and painful parting with life.I think that it is well known that death touched every family & Lesley Goodway & Lesley Parkin were young men barely out of their teens, just as our soldiers in Afghanistan are in their prime.

I don't know what I am saying, nevertheless I feel it important to say it.
Nick
Site Admin

Armistice

Postby Rob H » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm glad you do. Too many people take our freedom for granted. I've been appalled how many major shops haven't been selling poppies. Morrisons Supermarkets haven't so as not to cause of fence to the local population. Since when was armistice and remembrance religiously based?

Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:01 pm

I had no idea that was happening and think that it is appalling. In fact I am outraged.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier refers to a grave in which the remains of an unidentified soldier are interred, dedicated to the common memories of all soldiers killed in any war. Such tombs can be found in many nations and are usually high-profile national monuments. Throughout history, many soldiers have died in wars without their remains being identified. Following the First World War, a movement arose to commemorate these soldiers with a single tomb, containing the body of one such unidentified soldier.

Unknown means .... either side, any religion, whatever. They died. Fighting.

Morrisons will hear from me in the morning.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Are you sure about this Rob?

The Scunthorpe branch of the Royal British Legion anticipates it will sell 70 wreathes.

The branch managed to raise more than £934 on the first day of collecting at the Morrisons supermarket in Scunthorpe.

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Regio ... story.html
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:48 pm

I happened to be in Morrisons on Sunday - quite unusual for me as I hate the place. None of the staff were wearing poppies and the only charity collections I saw were for Children in Need.
Lynda

Postby keith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 am

Nick Was Scunthorpe a "random" selection or was there some method behind it ?
keith

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 am

keith wrote:Nick Was Scunthorpe a "random" selection or was there some method behind it ?

Google random!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Well ain't the world strange that's where I do most of my shopping !
keith

Return to The Clarendon