Selling a Car

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Selling a Car

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:03 pm

I recommend http://www.carandclassic.co.uk Fabulous! - I placed a free advert late Friday night, but didn't have time to upload the photos before going away for the weekend. I was meaning to come home Sunday and upload the photos, but whilst away I received 3 enquiries, and instead I came home to show the car and sell it at the asking price less £60 for petrol.
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Selling a Car

Postby Steve Griff » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Well done, never heard of it before.
Steve Griff

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:13 pm

I think it's quite big in it's niche, it's an offshoot of a magazine I believe - it was recommended to me by my daughter's b/f & it certainly worked big time for my BMW 330Ci. I didn't want to let her go once she was prepared - a trip down the car wash, take the mats out & put them in the boot, a quick hoover & she looked new! Well nearly.

I'm still trying to sell my Ford Explorer "The Tank" ......
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Had a mate sell a car the other week, the guy agreed a price on the phone, but my mate was wary cos the guy was Eastern Europen and was asking for money off on the phone.

Anyway he agreed with another friend that when the guy came round he'd text him, he'd pop round and offer £50 less than the asking price ( pretending to be another buyer )

anyway first guy turns up having driven best part of 150 miles from london and wanting £100 off to pay for petrol !, the mate comes round and offers £50 less than asking price to take it now, the guy just gets in his car and drives off, my mate thinks oh Footle that's blown it, but 10 mins later the guy is back and offers an extra £100 over the asking price, so my mate says why did you disappear then he says " went to cash point for more money, I want car and no afford to lose petrol money "
keith

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 pm

Yeah - bluff. My buyer haggled and haggled. Sometimes you have to give a bit to give them a reason to buy, I was happy to limit that cost to £60. I never make money with my car trading :(
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Steve Griff » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:43 pm

You have got to allow for the 'haggle' in your asking price its always expected and from experience usually the first ones to ring are the serious ones, so if they come and offer somewhere near I let them have it.
Steve Griff

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 pm

He paid cash & didn't even want a receipt!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm

yep !

apparently lots of Audis etc from round here go to Latvians etc, who drive them back to Latvia, sell them at a profit and fly back.

Some do it for a living others just do it cos it saves on air fares
keith

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:22 am

Well this was a car dealer from Brighton - I suspect the main attraction was that it was a single owner car with full service history. TBH although there is nothing overtly wrong with her, at 127,000 miles I'm not sure she will have a trouble free long term future - and as she needed 4 new tyres at £140 each I judged it a good time to sell. I don't see her going abroad!
Nick
Site Admin

Return to The Clarendon