Meditation

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Meditation

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:45 pm

I used to meditate, then reading this blog made me think of starting up again:

Commit to just 2 minutes a day. Start simply if you want the habit to stick. You can do it for 5 minutes if you feel good about it, but all you’re committing to is 2 minutes each day.
Pick a time and trigger. Not an exact time of day, but a general time, like morning when you wake up, or during your lunch hour. The trigger should be something you already do regularly, like drink your first cup of coffee, brush your teeth, have lunch, or arrive home from work.

Find a quiet spot. Sometimes early morning is best, before others in your house might be awake and making lots of noise. Others might find a spot in a park or on the beach or some other soothing setting. It really doesn’t matter where — as long as you can sit without being bothered for a few minutes. A few people walking by your park bench is fine.

Sit comfortably. Don’t fuss too much about how you sit, what you wear, what you sit on, etc. I personally like to sit on a pillow on the floor, with my back leaning against a wall, because I’m very inflexible. Others who can sit cross-legged comfortably might do that instead. Still others can sit on a chair or couch if sitting on the floor is uncomfortable. Zen practitioners often use a zafu, a round cushion filled with kapok or buckwheat. Don’t go out and buy one if you don’t already have one. Any cushion or pillow will do, and some people can sit on a bare floor comfortably.

Focus on your breath. As you breathe in, follow your breath in through your nostrils, then into your throat, then into your lungs and belly. Sit straight, keep your eyes open but looking at the ground and with a soft focus. If you want to close your eyes, that’s fine. As you breathe out, follow your breath out back into the world. If it helps, count … one breath in, two breath out, three breath in, four breath out … when you get to 10, start over. If you lose track, start over. If you find your mind wandering (and you will), just pay attention to your mind wandering, then bring it gently back to your breath. Repeat this process for the few minutes you meditate. You won’t be very good at it at first, most likely, but you’ll get better with practice.

And that’s it. It’s a very simple practice, but you want to do it for 2 minutes, every day, after the same trigger each day. Do this for a month and you’ll have a daily meditation habit.

http://zenhabits.net/fundameditate/

Any other meditators out there?
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Meditation

Postby Lynda » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:03 pm

I tried it once but got bored after a couple of minutes.
Lynda

Meditation

Postby Rob H » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 pm

It's something I've tried in the past too. My first martial arts teacher was a huge fan. Reading the blog helped and I've decided to give it a go again.
Rob
Rob H

Postby Steve Griff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 pm

Nick wrote:Any other meditators out there?

I used to, but my arm aches after a while.
Steve Griff

Postby joanna caroline » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:41 am

Yes used to - better than drugs, even mescalin :happy-sunny:
joanna caroline

Postby Ken E » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 am

joanna caroline wrote:Yes used to - better than drugs, even mescalin :happy-sunny:

Not as exciting though!

I used to meditate quite regularly as aprt of my martial arts but it fell by the wayside when the kids came along. Read this thread in the middle of the night when couldnt back to sleep after little'un woke me up and then meditated before falling back to sleep :D

I went on a couple of Vipassna retreats, the ones where you get up at 4.30am, eat a frugal breakfast and nothing more for the day, and meditate for 12 hours a day, for 10 days solid without any contact with the outside world. You dont make eye contact or speak with anyone for the 10 days. Akin to madness (what else is there when you have to face your own mind with no distraction?), very hardcore, but loved the experience, as much for the satisfaction for having the determination to go through with it rather than run away. 10 days alone in your own head with no escape is a good way to get to grips with yourself.

Until it fell by the wayside TM was my mediation preference.
Ken E

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Wow! - and there was me doing a little bit of gentle introspection. I too am prone to fall asleep whilst meditating! :D I my book that's a plus.

I took to meditating after reading a Deepak Chopra book, but I wouldn't do it 10 x 12!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Mon May 27, 2013 12:37 pm

To download the free 10 min mp3 track
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 am

As per the instructions, I make the public commitment that I will spend 10 mins meditating every day for a week.
Nick
Site Admin

Return to The Clarendon