Car Insurance

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Car Insurance

Postby Nick » Sat May 04, 2013 2:58 pm

I just spent far too long getting car insurance, but learned some interesting and valuable lessons:

I used the Meerkats to compare prices:

Comprehensive was cheaper than 3rd Party :? :shock:

Adding my wife to the policy made no difference. :D

I then checked my preferred insurers by reputation - online there were a lot of complaints from people complaining about being stung for extra charges for various items, £50 for not supplying a photocopy of the REAR of the photo part of the driving license was one odd one. One of the attractions was the free breakdown cover. Reading the small print, the free cover was subject to a £20 call out charge! :twisted:

So my second choice became preferred & I checked a direct quote from them - which was 30% HIGHER :? .

There was a sweet point on the excess where taking additional excess didn't cheapen the quote much £50 cost 7p.

When you go from the comparison site to the insurer to commit to the insurance, the quote changes! That's happened to me before. :roll:

So I finally went with what initially seemed the 3rd choice.
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Car Insurance

Postby Lynda » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Sounds like a minefield.
Lynda

Postby Rob H » Thu May 09, 2013 12:56 pm

And thats before the claims handling process!
Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 pm

I actually cut short my whinging, but the company I ended up with are internet only ..... and payment wouldn't go through. Because I hadn't paid I didn't have an account, no account and you can't e-mail, they don't have phones or an address, so at that point they nearly lost a customer, and I was nearly on 4th choice. However after a lot of detective work I managed to get the payment through. :D
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Steve Griff » Thu May 09, 2013 6:49 pm

I have just spent the best part of the last two days on the phone to renew two insurance policies and frustrating as it was after playing a few firms against each other I have saved about £400!

I am amazed how both my original brokers managed to slash their initial prices when faced with me moving companies.
Steve Griff

Postby Nick » Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 pm

Steve Griff wrote:I am amazed how both my original brokers managed to slash their initial prices when faced with me moving companies.

Spot on! It's annoying that you have to squeeze their best price out, but you do. I have a PA who does this stuff for me, and it justifies her charges - I couldn't find the time to do this research but over the last 3 years she saved me a month of her charges just researching property & car insurance. The best for me was when I told Admiral that I was moving to Bell because they were half the price. Admiral promptly told me that they were the same company, and that I could have the same price from them. FFS! :twisted:
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Mine is due soon and I suppose I'm going to be faced with similar problems to last year. I've actually got 47 years NCD but can't prove it. I've now lost track of how many years I can prove.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 am

It's important to get a statement of your NCD - I had one from my previous insurer & had to supply it to the new one.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 am

The problem arose because I took out insurance about three years ago with a company who only wanted to know how many years NCD I had up to a maximum of 5. Most of them have a maximum of 9. Until last year, I never had a problem. I think I can claim 7 years this year but I'm not sure.
Lynda

Return to The Clarendon