Happy New Year

Our "Local" sometimes spit and sawdust, at others a refined winebar. Entertainment is in your hands too - Poledancers? Lunchtime Strippers? Chippendales? String Quartet? Sky Sports?

Happy New Year

Postby Lynda » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:09 pm

So far it's been good. Spurs have 100% win record. :o
Lynda

Re: Happy New Year

Postby Steve Griff » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Happy New Year Lynda :)
Steve Griff

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 am

HNY. Twas o good match, or would have been if the score had reflected the play. The Match of the Day highlights didn't reflect the match at all. I guess I ought to stop going on about how dominant Utd were or I will sound biased, but it was a great match not reflected in the scoreline.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:59 pm

I watched MOTD this morning and I wouldn't entirely agree with you. We didn't play that well but I think we deserved the win. I don't agree with those who claimed a penalty. I think there should have been a caution though. There was a lot of diving and it wasn't white shirts skimming downwards.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Lynda - my point was that MOTD wasn't representative of the game. After 10 mins you should have been 5 - 0 down, MOTD showed very little of the game. Adabayor played very well, hence the 34 min goal, but it was totally against the run of play. The second goal was the sort of breakaway goal you get. We all saw the replays of the "Dives" & "Penalties" and it's not surprising that opinions line up with the team you support, but it wouldn't surprise me if Howard Webb doesn't get to do much more reffing, he's had a bad couple of days.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Tottenham's Hugo Lloris appears to bring down Manchester United's Ashley Young with a high challenge at Old Trafford. Photograph: Jon Super/AP Linked from
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 pm

"Appears" being the operative word. I don't think he did.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Lynda wrote:"Appears" being the operative word. I don't think he did.

We will see how much more of Mr. Webb we see in the Premiership. If you combine that photo with watching a video of the action it's clear that Lloris took Young out with an out of control challenge. What is subjective is whether it was a goal scoring opportunity, and the degree of intent. I can't see any argument for anything other than a penalty, I do actually believe that taking Young out was the result of a mistimed challenge, so i think a sending off would be harsh.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 pm

A caution at the most.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Lynda wrote:A caution at the most.

But a caution would mean a penalty ............

It's the old problem that the Ref bottles out from ruling on what he saw because it's in the penalty box.

And again with the Adnan caution - I don't feel to sore about it because he has been diving and needs to learn a lesson, but there was no way that he simulated that take out!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 pm

I think United owe us a few dodgy decisions considering all that has happened over the years. I'm still smarting over that goal that went in to the back of Roy Carroll's net. Everyone at Old Trafford saw the goal except the bl**dy referee.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Lynda wrote:I think United owe us a few dodgy decisions considering all that has happened over the years. I'm still smarting over that goal that went in to the back of Roy Carroll's net. Everyone at Old Trafford saw the goal except the bl**dy referee.

Yes - well at the end of the day we all have to accept that the big difference between football & most other sports is that the best team doesn't always win - and that's what makes it exciting. As a spectator in the stadium I can tell you that for 33 mins it was beyond credulity that Spurs would win. The goal at 34 mins wasn't luck, it was a moment's great play by Spurs and Adabayor, and it changed the balance of the game. I don't begrudge Spurs the win - it was a great game to attend, for Utd because we played well and should have won, and for Spurs because you played well (our dominance was our own brilliance rather than your failing) and did win. My day would have been considerably better had we won, but we are having that sort of season. I'm hoping for a "Chelsea" - you are 4th & we win the Champions League!
Nick
Site Admin

Return to The Clarendon