Glenn Armstrong

Discuss any aspect of Property - Renting, Buying, Selling, Investing, Developing, Building

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:37 pm

What comments have been deleted? I split the discussion about Forum Moderation apart from the discussion about Glenn Armstrong. I will retitle this one later to make this clear
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Something is either true or not true. There is no middle state although most people view things that are not true as coming in varying degrees of disapproval. People who can't tell the difference between truth and lies have various medical labels such as psychopath and deluded
Nick
Site Admin

Re:

Postby joanna caroline » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Nick wrote:Something is either true or not true. There is no middle state although most people view things that are not true as coming in varying degrees of disapproval. People who can't tell the difference between truth and lies have various medical labels such as psychopath and deluded

Nick I'm surprised to hear you say that. You must have witnessed many discussions where people of opposing views are both right.
Many wars, international and domestic, are caused by belief in the above statement.
"There is no statement you can make of which the opposite is not equally true"
joanna caroline

Re: Glenn Armstrong

Postby Rich G » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:44 pm

First off I'm not attacking anyone, Nick has been a good and loyal friend to me in the past so please don't get defensive.

Jo you said:

Jo King wrote:Everyone is perfectly aware you came here to provoke a fight - your reputation goes before you Rich. Are you miffed because you didn't get one? You just got straight talking non confrontational answers from Nick but still you kept on trying. Nick has been an utter first class Gent and considering your treatment of him I think he deserves better from you.

I have been very calm over the last week, can you even find one example of me trying to provoke a fight?

I said:

Rich G wrote:The truth doesn't have to be black-or-white, all-or-nothing. I don’t have to be wrong for you to be right. I'd say very few if any people will manage the more outrageous claims made by many of the gurus. But also that many people do benefit from what they learn. The truth is somewhere in between. I was wrong to take such a partisan view that’s why I started the discussion. I've been subject to repeated personal attacks just for saying that. Before, we all used to be friends.

Is that hostile?

In response Nick said:

Nick wrote:Something is either true or not true. There is no middle state although most people view things that are not true as coming in varying degrees of disapproval. People who can't tell the difference between truth and lies have various medical labels such as psychopath and deluded

Is implying that I am a deluded psychopath a ‘straight talking non confrontational answer’ or the act of ‘an utter first class Gent’?

To be fair to Nick, I think he has many great qualities and he has been a good and loyal friend to me in the past. That's why I'm saddened and shocked by this recent behaviour which seems out of character from the man I knew before.
Rich G

Postby Jo King » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Rich G wrote:Jo what I mean is the three of you want me to fail just so that you can be right.

I don't wish you to fail Rich - it wouldn't make me right about anything. I wish everyone could succeed at their endeavours, the world would be a much nicer place if everyone was fulfilled & content.
Jo King
Jo King

Postby Rich G » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Jo King wrote:
Rich G wrote:Jo what I mean is the three of you want me to fail just so that you can be right.

I don't wish you to fail Rich - it wouldn't make me right about anything. I wish everyone could succeed at their endeavours, the world would be a much nicer place if everyone was fulfilled & content.

ROFL
Rich G

Re: Re:

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:13 pm

joanna caroline wrote:
"There is no statement you can make of which the opposite is not equally true"

"There is no statement you can make of which the opposite is not equally true" I've never heard of that and can't find it. I can think of lots of statements where the opposite isn't true e.g. "Ice melts if you heat it"

It's a tenet of logic and philosophy that there is no middle state, things are either true or false..

joanna caroline wrote:Nick I'm surprised to hear you say that. You must have witnessed many discussions where people of opposing views are both right.
Many wars, international and domestic, are caused by belief in the above statement.

A view is not the same as a truth. Protestants had one set of views, Catholics had another set. They believed them so strongly that they burned each other's Bishops alive. Neither sets of beliefs were true. The Nazis had a war about a set of beliefs - it really doesn't matter whether the beliefs were true or not, the war would have happened either way.

I don't know if this will sway you but Ghandi agreed with me
"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." M. Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Rich G wrote:
Is implying that I am a deluded psychopath a ‘straight talking non confrontational answer’ or the act of ‘an utter first class Gent’?

Rich,

It has been observed at least once on this thread, that it's not about you, yet you seem to be desperate to make it about you. Of course I wasn't trying to imply that you are a deluded psychopath.

The problem that arises is that you post things which aren't true, and then describe the inevitable challenges as personal attacks. I do wonder what you are hoping to achieve in your various posts on the internet (not just here) - I think that you should review what you intend to achieve, and compare it to what you ARE achieving (ask a trusted friend to tell you what they think that you are achieving).
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Nick

I have to disagree with you ( which is rare for me )

Any statement can have 3 states Proven true, unproven, or Proven False, some things such as mathematics can only have 1 correct answer

IE what is 1+1
However the questiion which is the best team in the premier league can have multiple answers all of which can be considered correct.

even Mathematics can be troublesome see http://scienticity.net/wiki/Legislating_the_Value_of_Pi yep they tried to set the value if PI to 3.1 3.1 or 3.2 ( in different parts of the same law ).

Me I think the answer is we lock Nick and Rich in a bar with loads of beer and just let them become friends
keith

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:59 pm

keith wrote:
Any statement can have 3 states Proven true, unproven, or Proven False, some things such as mathematics can only have 1 correct answer

I agree that you may not be able to prove that something is true or false, but this doesn't open the possibility that it is not either true or false.

Your question about the Premiership is phrased to ask for an opinion, rather than a fact. If you ask for a fact (e.g. which team had most points) there is only a single truthful answer.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rich G » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Nick wrote:It has been observed at least once on this thread, that it's not about you, yet you seem to be desperate to make it about you.

So stop making it about me:

Nick wrote:The problem that arises is that you post things which aren't true, and then describe the inevitable challenges as personal attacks...

People who can't tell the difference between truth and lies have various medical labels such as psychopath and deluded...

I do wonder what you are hoping to achieve in your various posts on the internet (not just here) - I think that you should review what you intend to achieve, and compare it to what you ARE achieving (ask a trusted friend to tell you what they think that you are achieving)....
Rich G

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 am

Rich,

OK - Returning to the case - I have to admit that probably some of the things that I "know" are close, but no cigar. Your insight into the facts of the Glenn Armstrong v Teresa Rollands case are highly valued, and you have a much better direct source for the facts than my own.

Can you confirm or correct my understanding of the facts, and positions of the 2 litigants as reviewed below:

1. TR signed up for an Armchair Contract with G&A (a company owned & run by GA's wife, and not GA who isn't involved with any companies). An Armchair Contract involves a payment of £50,000 for the purchase of 5 Properties which are all mortgaged for the purchase price so effectively the investor gets 5 "free" properties.
  2. The first property that TR was asked to buy was had been bought by GA's "employee" Kenny Ranns (quotes, as I don't know his role) for £80,000 and it was proposed that she should buy it for £115,000. The mortgage valuation came back at £95,000 and highlighted that the property had a covenant on it restricting it's use to single households (making it unsuitable for purpose).
  3. TR refused to buy the house because of the covenant (GA disputes that this is the reason).
  4. At some later point TR tried to cancel the Armchair Contract & have her money returned. The contract provided a clause which G&A paid interest on the £50,000 until properties were bought. TR is claiming this interest, G&A are claiming administration costs for TR failing to proceed with the 1st purchase.
  5. GA needed to pay Kenny Ranns £80,000 for the house, so he mailed everyone asking for development funds. TR loaned him £80,000 secured on the house.
  6. TR lent Kenny Ranns £80,000 secured on the house that she has refused to buy.
  7. 3 years passes involving offers of mediation, & legal process.
  8. TR sued Kenny Ranns for £140,000 being loan & interest. G&A defended Ranns on the basis that the loan to Ranns is intimately connected to the Armchair Contract.
  9. G&A sued TR for Breach of Contract over the Armchair Contract.
  10. Court rules that there is no legal connection between the G&A/Armchair Contract & the Ranns loan, and also awarded judgement against Ranns for loan sum, interest claimed, and legal costs.
  11. The Armchair Contract Court Case has gone to Mediation.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

Just a note on Mediation - I have been involved once in a small way, and have also had a case tried by Arbitration instead of going to Court. The idea behind Arbitration & Mediation is that Courts & their process are very inefficient & expensive, so it is better to resolve issues outside court.

My Arbitration was pretty identical to court. Whilst the Arbitrator & counsels may have been paid at a lower hourly rate than Judges & Barristers the Tax Payer pays for the court, whilst the protagonists pay for the Arbitration, so at the end of the day I didn't see any difference or advantage.

My Mediation was as much use as a chocolate teapot. The incentive for Mediation is that both parties want to make concessions in order to resolve the issue, rather than win their case. That wasn't the case in my mediation, and I don't see it as the case here.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rich G » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am

Nick I would love to clarify some of the issues but as I've already said, I've been asked not to comment further until at least after the mediation, and quite possibly beyond. And its not really my business to do so.

Regarding mediation, I have been involved in it too. It worked quite well for us. As you correctly say it only works if both parties are able to let go of "winning" and focus on the best possible settlement for both and by laying grievances aside as much as possible. If both sides can remain calm and reasonable then a satisfactory settlement is possible. Unfortunately we have already established that humans are emotional not rational beings, but I very much hope that the protagonists can put emotion to one side and reach a satisfactory settlement.
Rich G

Postby Rich G » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:47 am

I am happy to discuss Glenns mentoring, but if you don't want it to be about me, please don't ask me about my deals.
Rich G

Postby Rob H » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am

Nick wrote:Just a note on Mediation - I have been involved once in a small way, and have also had a case tried by Arbitration instead of going to Court. The idea behind Arbitration & Mediation is that Courts & their process are very inefficient & expensive, so it is better to resolve issues outside court.

My Arbitration was pretty identical to court. Whilst the Arbitrator & counsels may have been paid at a lower hourly rate than Judges & Barristers the Tax Payer pays for the court, whilst the protagonists pay for the Arbitration, so at the end of the day I didn't see any difference or advantage.

My Mediation was as much use as a chocolate teapot. The incentive for Mediation is that both parties want to make concessions in order to resolve the issue, rather than win their case. That wasn't the case in my mediation, and I don't see it as the case here.

I'm a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCiArb) and it is very much like litigation in so far as procedures are executed in accordance with statute, The Arbitration Act 1996. The other form of alternative dispute resolution that I'm most familiar with is adjudication. This was introduced as a quick fix to resolve disputes into construction contracts which is my area of particular interest although this too has become over populated with the legal profession resulting in more disputes being taken to mediation.

I agree that mediation is about compromise. Unlike litigation, arbitration and adjudication, mediation does not provide an ordered and therefore legally enforecable result. Its all about the parties finding common ground and the mediatior acts as a sounding board and messenger.

Mediation is often a precurser to litigation as the courts like to see that parties have at least attempted ADR before using the court system.
Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 pm

Glenn's top 20 tips:

1. Wording to add to a business card: “If it stinks of wee, think of me” and “finders fee always paid”
2. Start with the end in mind
3. Make sure to make your profit when you buy
4. Plan to succeed and make sure to track what you achieve
5. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail
6. Celebrate every success
7. Know how and WHEN to be quiet when negotiating
8. When you make your offer, shut up
9. Using the word “because” works
10. It takes 10 years to become an overnight success… doing little and often helps
11. The more you practise, the luckier you get
12. When in negotiation, always ask the vendors opinions on cost
13. If you’re not embarrassed by your offer, you are offering too much
14. Act as if you already are
15. Make sure that you’re both on the same page when it comes to drawing up a heads of terms
16. Re-offer on properties that hasn’t been accepted in over a month
17. Give the buyer/vendor the pen to write down the heads of terms. You will be able to tell from their body language if there is something there are unhappy with
18. Make sure to take a cheque book with you
19. Always do your due diligence
20. Understand creative financing
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rob H » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 am

Nick wrote:Glenn's top 20 tips:

1. Wording to add to a business card: “If it stinks of wee, think of me” and “finders fee always paid”
2. Start with the end in mind
3. Make sure to make your profit when you buy
4. Plan to succeed and make sure to track what you achieve
5. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail
6. Celebrate every success
7. Know how and WHEN to be quiet when negotiating
8. When you make your offer, shut up
9. Using the word “because” works
10. It takes 10 years to become an overnight success… doing little and often helps
11. The more you practise, the luckier you get
12. When in negotiation, always ask the vendors opinions on cost
13. If you’re not embarrassed by your offer, you are offering too much
14. Act as if you already are
15. Make sure that you’re both on the same page when it comes to drawing up a heads of terms
16. Re-offer on properties that hasn’t been accepted in over a month
17. Give the buyer/vendor the pen to write down the heads of terms. You will be able to tell from their body language if there is something there are unhappy with
18. Make sure to take a cheque book with you
19. Always do your due diligence
20. Understand creative financing

Apart from the first and last, there's nothing there thats either outstanding or I haven't heard before.

Personally, I can't see any benefit in learning creative financing from anyone other than the right sort of intermediary, ie a broker for example.

With regards to item 1, surely this is just another guerilla marketing type method.

If you do 19 then by default, you will learn the remainding items???

Coaching/Teaching/Mentoring/Training by a recognised professional gives a certifiable qualification which has a value. The same from a guru doesn't! Thats not to say what you learn wont make you successful as it clearly can and does. My point is that with a little research and hard work you can achieve equal or greater results off your own bat.
Rob
Rob H

Postby Rich G » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 am

But Rob you are saying something won't work before you have even tried it. Forgive me but that's the same defeatist methodology preached all over Tribes.
Rich G

Glenn Armstrong

Postby Ruth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 am

I can't speak for Rob but Rich, your comment seems to have twisted what he said.

GAs top tips are as common as the motivational posters you see in any business stationery directory. Many coaches, gurus, mentors and trainers regurgitate it time and time again.

My ex's favourite was "people hate to be sold to but love to buy". It's age old. True but nothing "top" about it and nothing unique to the ex.

What gets me Rich is you switch alliances more often than a sex worker switches bedroom partners. Yes, you're allowed to change your mind about something or someone but from where I watch I wouldn't trust anything you ever said or did. I would not take your recommendation if the person you were referring to me was the last person on earth. This is not accusing you of wrong doing or lying but simply that rather than sit back quietly and properly evaluate over time and with experience you have to say something - whether it's good or bad. For the time I've seen you online and offline I just think you make yourself a complete laughing stock. I have seen how people flock round you and blow smoke up your Arsenal - of course they would because non-observers would think you were good for an endorsement.

I actually think it's very nice that you endorse JC but can't help but wonder why, after your disgusting behaviour on Tribes towards him, he isn't extremely concerned that you may, like the wind, change direction.

The BMV forum is one that I could certainly add value and expertise and help many people with tenancy issues on but I decided to remove myself from it because of these wobbly alliances amongst others.
Last edited by Ruth on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruth

PreviousNext

Return to Property