Rogue Landlords

Discuss any aspect of Property - Renting, Buying, Selling, Investing, Developing, Building

Rogue Landlords

Postby Steve Griff » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:24 pm

I find it very frustrating when I come accross rogue landlords who cut every corner going seeking more profit!

Someone I know asked me for some general advice on buying his first buy to let and he was telling me the advice he had allready recieved from a couple of other landlords, one foreign gentelman buys houses with a normal mortgage, won't spend a penny on them and rents them straight out for top of the market rents, then six months later ask for permission to let!

Saving cosctly fees and not wasting money on carpets or decorating, I don't know how they sleep at night.
Steve Griff

Re: Rogue Landlords

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Steve - that's such a can of worms .......
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Just like my younger son's landlord. Their boiler kept breaking down last winter and he just would not pay for the new parts needed to repair it properly.

They are moving next month. I just hope the new landlord is better than the old one.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Lynda,

That is such an issue - tenants need to have some way of judging whether their Landlord will treat them fairly.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't know much about the new house at all but I understand the landlord is extended family of my son's partner. In fact, I only found out about the move by reading it on Facebook. There was a minor altercation at the caravan a few weeks ago and the partner walked out giving Barry five minutes to find them and follow and now we are not allowed to see the girls at all. Well, technically, only Dave is banned, but I can't very well see them if he can't.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Lynda,

I'm sorry to hear that, but I hope it all blows over.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:00 pm

It seems unlikely at the moment.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Time is a great healer. I would counsel seeing the girls without Dave, just don't make a bad situation worse. Eventually tempers will cool.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 pm

I can't do that to him, Nick. It would break his heart.

I doubt time will change anything. We used to babysit Evie quite a lot when she was little but we were once asked to look after her on a Saturday morning - the request was made late on the Friday evening. We had to say no because we had a house viewing booked for 9 a.m. and we couldn't change that with the agent before the time we were expected. We were told by her mother that we would never be asked again. As we didn't look at any other houses after this one it must have been before June 2010. She's kept to her word.
Lynda

Postby Lynda » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Dave was made to do a lot of humiliating grovelling but we've been allowed to see the girls today. I'm not sure if things are now back on track though. We'll just have to hope so.
Lynda

Postby Steve Griff » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:42 pm

That's good news Lynda, it's a shame when children are used as pawns or weapons it's not nice for anyone.
Steve Griff

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Steve Griff wrote:That's good news Lynda, it's a shame when children are used as pawns or weapons it's not nice for anyone.

Wise words
ROFL
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Lynda wrote:Dave was made to do a lot of humiliating grovelling but we've been allowed to see the girls today. I'm not sure if things are now back on track though. We'll just have to hope so.

Good for Dave - that makes him the mature adult, and real man in this.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Jo King » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Nick wrote:
Steve Griff wrote:That's good news Lynda, it's a shame when children are used as pawns or weapons it's not nice for anyone.

Wise words
ROFL

Agreed!
Jo King
Jo King

Return to Property