Existing Stats Suppliers - who can tell me?

Discuss any aspect of Property - Renting, Buying, Selling, Investing, Developing, Building

Existing Stats Suppliers - who can tell me?

Postby Rachel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks (once again) to Wonder Woman Lisa, and her ability to resolve (fast) whatever problem raises its head, looks like I'm all set to complete on my dream cottage purchase on Friday (despite destiny's determination to try to prevent it all going through!).

I have asked the Estate Agent to find out gas and electric suppliers from seller (she doesn't live there, lives on the south coast, but the heating and electric have been on for each of my 3 visits), and the agent doesn't seem too fussed about getting me the info.

Please can you experienced property people advise me what to do regarding final readings for vendor's stats suppliers and confirming new readings to supplier for me? Can I just call any old supplier to set up a new account, and the cut off of old account details will then sort themselves out?
Rachel

Re: Existing Stats Suppliers - who can tell me?

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm not sure but I think you take the readings and give them to your chosen supplier. I think that there is some database & the new provider registers themselves as the new supplier, and registers the readings. You only deal with your new supplier, and the old supplier contacts their customer (your vendor) for any outstanding bills.

I might be wrong - but if I am then they should adopt my system, because it sounds blerdy good to me!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rachel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:43 pm

I agree, Nick. That sounds like the way it should be. Let's hope somebody else thought of it first. I'll let you know!
Rachel

Postby Steve Griff » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:41 am

Take digital photographs of the readings as well to prove you read it right should there be adispute.
Steve Griff

Postby Ahmwaah » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 am

Rach,

I've done this quite a few times when we were refuring properties over the last few years.

This was the page I used to guide me when I wasn't sure:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_energy_and_water_supply_e/consumer_energy_supply_e/problems_switching_energy_suppliers/finding_out_who_your_gas_or_electricity_supplier_is.htm

But it's pretty straightforward. I just take a picture of the gas & electric meter. Both will have a serial number on it. Ring British Gas (always my chosen supplier) and give them the details and ask if they own the supply - if not can they tell me who owns it or just switch it. Never had a problem.

More often than not it's been British Gas anyhow.

But the link explains how to find the supplier if you just want to keep it the same.

Pretty easy.

Hope that helps.

Ahm
Ahmwaah

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks Ahm - out of interest why do you use British Gas?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby LisaOrme » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Ahhh schucks!!! :oops:

Here you go Rachel:-

To obtain the MPRN (unique meter point reference) and details of supplier call these numbers – you will need the post code and full address of the property.

MPas - Electric - 0845 603 0618
MNumber - Gas - 0870 608 1524
LisaOrme

Postby Rachel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks you lovely lot.
Rachel

Postby keith » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 pm

Digital Photo with the newpaper date visible is wonderfull. - proves it can't be before that date.
keith

Postby Rachel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Excellent Keith, was wondering about how to prove date as I don't think I can set that to display on my phone. Thanks!
Rachel

Postby Ahmwaah » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 am

Nick wrote:Thanks Ahm - out of interest why do you use British Gas?

Because I'm lazy when it comes to these small things - it's a bit boring trying to find the best supplier.
Ahmwaah

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:14 am

I find the quality of communication with the supplier far outweighs any other issues, and B Gas are a nightmare to try to deal with.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Jo King » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Can this thread be a Sticky please? Excellent info thanks.
Jo King
Jo King

Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Tracked down the existing supplier ... EDF. Four years ago, I swore I'd never go back to those thieving bustards, but I've gone for a price freeze with them until 2017.

Anything Martin Lewis tells me to do, I do.

Thanks for your help people, it all went smoothly, and they were cool with the readings I gave them.

I can rest peacefully knowing the builders will be able to boil the kettle, and keep their milk fresh in the fridge.
Rachel

Postby Lynda » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 pm

I'm with "those thieving bastards". Perhaps I should think about changing?
Lynda

Postby keith » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:08 am

Swop using a cashback site you can usually get at least £50
keith

Postby Jo King » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 am

And don't be tempted by First Utility who are cheap and complete rubbish.

They email me every month for my meter reading - there is a £10 fee if you don't supply meter readings.

So I read and 'submit', their system falls over EVERY month and auto apologises asking me to try again. I've never successfully submitted a reading this way.

So you try to contact them but their phones are so busy you can't ever get through and they have no call back facility. Their email comes from a 'no reply' email address.

So - as they advise - you log into your Account and fill out their online contact form and press submit - you guessed it - it falls over.

So you eventually find an email address and email your meter reading and register your complaint as you've now lost over an hour of your life.

You also find that there is no meter reading OR statement ever registered against your account despite having gone through this fiasco four times since you joined them in October.

So you resort to Twitter and after a flurry of tweets they apologise and ask you for meter readings. They confirm that no one has ever registered these emailed readings and pledge to sort out your account.

How the Government can keep using this 'switch/competition' argument is beyond me - does everyone use Twitter? An elderly person doesn't stand a chance in this world of wolves!

I'm glad I'm moving so I can end my contract with them.
Jo King
Jo King

Postby LisaOrme » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am

It took me two years of hell to get away from First Utility they never got a single bill right, took money out of my account, nearly trashed my credit rating, lost their case when I took it to the Ombudsman yet still ignored their demands - absolute nightmare!

We are with BG as they're the only UK supplier, my hubbie won't pay any of the others as they're all European! To be fair they've been great and helped when we were trying to get away from FU.
LisaOrme

Postby keith » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Strangely I'm with FU and they are great at the moment
keith

Postby Jo King » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 pm

I've just had to Tweet again as they didn't bother to sort out my account at all - even though 'Amee' of First Utility customer services (Twitter) promised and asked for all my details, meter number, meter reading, account number etc. Which I gave via Twitter.

Five months now and not a single reading registered or a statement from them. I know it's going to end up with them chasing me for money I don't owe when I leave them because they're going to try the £10 a month for not submitting a meter reading.

I've got it all recorded but I know from experience that people offering such a carp service usually try and blame the innocent party - as Lisa has already confirmed by her experience.

Dreading it!
Jo King
Jo King

Next

Return to Property