Empty House Council Tax - annual allowance per property not

Discuss any aspect of Property - Renting, Buying, Selling, Investing, Developing, Building

Empty House Council Tax - annual allowance per property not

Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Just thought I'd let you know about something I've discovered today, which you've no doubt come across yourselves. But for those that haven't ...

I've completed on my house today, and will have the builders in for a month before I move in and let out my current residence.

I did the same thing last year and was surprised to be able to get a tax free period for council tax on the empty house. Called the council today to arrange the same again and they informed me that the policy is for up to one month per annum and that the previous owner had already used that. Didn't make any difference that title has changed. It's to do with house, not owner. Bummer.

So, two council house payments this month then. I asked the knowledgeable lady from the council not to forget my "nobody is good enough for me" discount on the new house bill, but she said that doesn't apply until I move in. Until then, I have to pay full whack. "OK then" I said, self satisfied with the speedy swindle I'd come up with, "put me down as having moved in today then!" She pointed out that that would mean I lose my "nobody is good enough for me" discount on the house I'm living in now.

Anyone got any rubbish they want to put in my bins?
Rachel

Re: Empty House Council Tax - annual allowance per property

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:46 pm

I didn't know that - I thought you could have up to 6 months free if there is structural work.

Unless you are talking about the empty property rebate, they've been fiddling the rules on that as a subtle way of increasing taxes whilst claiming to reduce tax rates.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Steve Griff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 pm

It varies by council, they all have their own interpretations, they are usually more generous if you are bringing an empty property back into use.
Steve Griff

Postby Ken E » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 am

Yes each cuncil gets to ake thier own rules on council tax excemptions and benefits now.

Makes sense to add pressure on landlords of empty properties but in Bristol you only get 10% discount for the first month and then full CT after that. Not even worth applying. Quite a few of us are putting pressure on the housing dept to talk to their colleagues in council tax. There is now an incentive to re-let without any refurbishment or renewal becasue of the Council tax sting and let property standards are presumably falling as a result.
Ken E

Return to Property