Demanding Broadband Connection?

Discuss any aspect of Property - Renting, Buying, Selling, Investing, Developing, Building

Demanding Broadband Connection?

Postby Rachel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:31 pm

I seem to remember a manifesto, or government 'promise' to get broadband to the whole country.

I'm in a new home, the first one I can ever remember which has no broadband connection. That is one enormous sacrifice; bigger than I'd anticipated. No chance of it changing my mind about loving living here, but I've been wondering how long I'd have to wait for the infrastructure to make its way to my home down a lane on the outskirts of the village.

However, whilst walking the dog, I have established that there is a CableTel supply to every single house on the opposite side of my road and virtually every single house surrounding our area, excepting the little row of houses mine is in.

Since CableTel is literally running down the road, and in the pavement opposite, how can I go about getting them to supply our bunch of houses?
Rachel

Re: Demanding Broadband Connection?

Postby Marcus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Probably best to just ring them and ask. Using Virgin as a guide, they have a new development division that handles this type of request, i.e. running cable to new premises.
Marcus

Postby Rachel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 am

OK, I'll try that, thanks.
Rachel

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 am

Rachel,

What you are talking about sounds like fibre optic, ordinary BB comes over the telephone wire, if you have a Landline you ought to have a BB service. Knowing roughly where you live I think it would be most unlikely that your exchange doesn't have a modem, or that you are too far away, and if your neighbours have BB that makes it certain that you can have it.

Use this https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:32 am

Or try quickline they do it with heavy duty wifi, if you get in first you can get a month free for every subsequent subscriber
keith

Postby LisaOrme » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi Rachel,

one of my clients emailed me the following:-

I've got myself organising a project to build our own rural broadband network (1,000 Meg in Cumbria!) - we will be digging our own trenches and laying our own fibre - so hectic at the moment, but lots of fun and very rewarding!

I thought of your post so directed him to it and he said:-

I bet she'll have copper telephone lines for ADSL? If she's got a landline number she'll be able to look up providers here:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

If she's got no telephone line at all BT will put one in for a reasonable fee; when I moved onto a new development the house had been 'missed out' by BT and they came out and connected me up. When I moved to my current home, Virgin had done the same!

Hope it helps!
LisaOrme

Return to Property