My House Stinks!

Discuss any aspect of Property - Renting, Buying, Selling, Investing, Developing, Building

My House Stinks!

Postby Jo King » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:43 pm

My lovely new house stinks of cat wee!!!

After a huge amount of research on paint colours for our new dining room and lounge, I finally settled on 'Pale Gold' by Crown - their breathe-easy Matt emulsion. To ensure I really liked the colour I painted one wall of a spare bedroom as a feature wall and I absolutely love the colour, it's gorgeous.

The following day I noticed an odd rancid smell coming from the room. Before painting the room I had thoroughly vacuumed and dusted, moving all the furniture and it's a relatively new house so I knew there was nothing 'nasty' lurking in there. The only thing to change was the painted wall. I ignored the smell, thinking it was kitchen smells hanging around, so I opened both windows and forgot about it.

Yesterday afternoon, I returned home to a stinking house!!! The whole house smelt of cat pee. And as I went into the bedroom it took my breath away. The smell was coming from the newly painted wall!!!

After researching this on the internet, the problem is not new. Crown have been selling stinking paint for years, it even prompted a feature on BBC's Watchdog a few years ago - and still they seem to have done little about it!

And worse, people say it is worse in warmer weather and when you open the windows. This turned out to be true today as it didn't smell much this morning, but this afternoon the house stinks again.

Deric rang Crown about it today, they didn't deny it, but assure us the smell will go away. This is not what others online report, they say the smell can go away during the winter, then return the following summer. Some people have ended up stripping their walls, sealing them with an alkali sealer and repainting or even replastering!

So for now I have to live with a stinking house and have a whole load of Ammonia laden Crown paint to return - next time I'll stick to Dulux.
Jo King
Jo King

Re: My House Stinks!

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Weird!

Our decoration is going well - our builder's decorator is shite, so I went back to a good decorator I used 12 years ago who has now grown and uses other people, so we have signed up the subby for Saturday work - he really is fantastic. I've got a feeling that I am repeating myself, but when you find a quality worker who does a phenomenal amount of work in a day ......
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda Rockall » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:21 pm

I first had a problem with Crown paint about 25 years ago. That was gloss paint though. Apart from the awful smell it took much, much longer to dry than other brands. I've never bought Crown paint since then.
Lynda Rockall

Postby Jo King » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Well after three weeks of a stinky house, we are about to get a voucher from Crown for some Alkaline Sealer and replacement paint - not the same one! Very cheesed off as I don't want to paint it again.

Tonight I'm washing it down with a weakened bleach solution in the hope that might work. - rather a smell of bleach than cat pee.

I've used Crown's white emulsion before but not a colour. They claim it's only certain colours and only the Matt finish that smells like this - they shouldn't be selling it!!!
Jo King
Jo King

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Right now my house smells of new carpet. That's a lovely smell.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda Rockall » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm

The paint I had a problem with was definitely gloss and it did have a foul smell. It was two different shades of green. And thinking about it, it was more like 35 years ago rather than 25. And it looked nearly as bad as it smelled.
Lynda Rockall

Postby Jo King » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Nick wrote:Right now my house smells of new carpet. That's a lovely smell.

Wow! I hope you opened a bottle of Champagne!!! Now that's a lovely smell too :D
Jo King
Jo King

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 am

No drinks allowed in carpeted rooms. :(

In fact shewhomustbeobeyed has laid "paths" of off-cuts which I am not allowed to step off onto the real carpet. I'm not allowed either shoes, or bare feet.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Jo King » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Ah, I have the solution and keep a carrier bag of them by the door :D

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo King
Jo King

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:26 pm

ROFL
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda Rockall » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:44 pm

I'm so glad my kitchen floor is charcoal coloured! :D
Lynda Rockall

Return to Property