Course in Managing Refurbs?

Managing Refurbishments - an essential strategy if you want to refinance after 6 months and get your deposit back out.

Re: Course in Managing Refurbs?

Postby Rich G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 am

Perhaps do the classroom thing then see if there is any appetite to go on a live refurb of one of the students?

The issue for me is that it would all be too specific - to that particular job and to particular stage of that particular job. Every job is different and every stage of every job is different, with new stuff coming up every day as the old stuff gets done.

There might be some value in 'shadowing', but it would get pretty expensive if it was a student's job and I'm not sure how it could work if it was my own job.
Rich G

Postby Steve Griff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 am

Rich G wrote:Billy that is the difficulty, matching theory and practice. I’m not sure everyone would be happy huddled in a dusty building site with no where to sit and take notes/ use ipads, set up a Powerpoint OHP, no clean tea-cups and a toilet without a seat :-o

I can see the need for ongoing support through the ‘live’ element of webinar or the Managing Refurbishments Forum.

A TOILET on a building site, when, where?
Steve Griff

Postby Rich G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 am

Yeah lucky if we get a bucket sometimes!
Rich G

Postby Jo King » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm

It's always been my first job - provide somewhere comfy for contractors to sit with toilet & hand wash facilities - plus tea making. Oh and provide a safe electric point for their tools.

No matter how big or small the job this is essential.
Jo King
Jo King

Postby Rich G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Quite right Jo :D

I’ve decided to put this on hold for the moment, I need the time and energy to concentrate on my core business. I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it unless I was completely sure it was really good. That would take a lot of preparation and research. Once up and running it would get easier, just fine-tuning. Right now it needs far more 'front-loading' than I have time to put in :(

Thanks for all the support and encouragement.
Rich G

Postby Rich G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Might do the odd slot in an existing meeting perhaps as a gradual way in.
Rich G

Postby Steve Griff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Jo King wrote:It's always been my first job - provide somewhere comfy for contractors to sit with toilet & hand wash facilities - plus tea making. Oh and provide a safe electric point for their tools.

I allways try to Jo, we did have a temporary rcd protected power supply for safety though.
Steve Griff

Postby Rob H » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Jo King wrote:It's always been my first job - provide somewhere comfy for contractors to sit with toilet & hand wash facilities - plus tea making. Oh and provide a safe electric point for their tools.

Basic legal requirements!!!

Seriously, when I read the thread earlier about hosting a tutorial in the shell of a refurbishment project I did cringe a little. The H&S considerations for even a few 'visitors' would be horrendous, people have a natural tendency to touch and fiddle and they would all be your responsibility.

With regards to putting the whole idea on the back burner. It appears that you have steamed ahead at 200mph Rich and got yourself worked up into some sort of mental frenzy to the point where you're now saying 'flip it' Why not brainstorm your ideas on a thread in here or privately amongst a group of friends and allow their input to work alongside your own. That way you can take advantage of the ideas of others who genuinely want YOU to achieve and succeed without any ulterior motive.
Rob
Rob H

Postby Rich G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah thanks Rob. Just like me all crashing in with enthusiasm without thinking it through, then realising I risk getting in out of my depth!

I'm thinking maybe starting with something small, a short talk for someone like Mark Lloyd, perhaps on the Be Your Own Surveyor topic. I don't have to design a whole course from scratch, I can build it up a bit at a time and stop anywhere along the way :)
Rich G

Postby Rich G » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm

So anyway I met Mark Lloyd at Chippenham PEN on Tuesesday and was pleasantly surprised and impressed. Nice guy. Did a talk inc 3 deals, 2 of them very creative but (unlike some) with the ring of truth about them, and one which went wrong, made no profit and almost cost them a lot of money. I like him because unlike some gurus he’s not a smart-ass and prepared to admit to what he doesn’t know. I think we can work together.

I also met George Haines from YPN and we had a chat about when I used to write for YPN, I reminded him I stopped because they didn't pay. It seems YPN has had a change of editorial policy and now they want me to come back and they’ll pay! I’m pleased, I’m being sent a couple of recent issues but I think the mag should benefit enormously from this. The most interesting articles for me were always the ones from the ordinary folks out there doing stuff, not the self-promoting guru ones.
Rich G

Previous

Return to The Refurbishment Doctor