Potatoes currently £3-4 a 25Kg Bag
keith

Re: Why Rural life is better

Postby REI » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Farm labour works really cheap.

John Corey
John B. Corey Jr.
25+ years of REI, US & UK.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter-> www.twitter.com/john_corey
REI

Postby keith » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Some of it is actually "waste" !

Supermarkets want regular shaped and sized Veg, us country Folk are hapy to eat Irregular shaped Swedes, Forked carrots, Cabbage that is too big/small etc

One thing we get lots of cauliflower that has been nicked on the curd whilst being trimmed, supermarkets won't touch it, ditto ones with a splash of mud,

We even get Potatoes that are destined for cattle feed, they've been washed etc, but in the packing shed they can be irregular shapes, small blemishes or even too big, we can buy those dirt cheap,

It all tastes the same when it's cooked
keith

Postby REI » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Keith,

Where is the problem? Is it the supermarkets who sell what the shoppers will buy or is it the shoppers who do not realize it taste the same? Maybe it is an educational issue. Or maybe it is a standards issue where the state tries to set minimum standards and we lose out on the margins.

In a free market people will buy what they want yet many will stick to what they know.

Jamie's campaign to raise standards clearly indicates that part of the problem is some segments of the population do not even understand what it means to cook their own food.

Rural is not better by a single measure that is somehow an absolute. Rural is different. It has its pluses and minuses. On some things it is even hard to accurately measure the differences so a score can be assigned.

John Corey
John B. Corey Jr.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
REI

Postby keith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:50 am

Transport is a great one to look at

Currently buses are subsidised per mile, under pressure from the big cities the current Government are proposing a per passenger subsidy.

This means many rural routes will be totally uneconomic, yet they used the argument of good local transport connections to justify closing village Post Offices.

many Places in rural areas such as Lincolnshire have 1 bus each way a day if they are lucky.

Rural folk often can't get to work on public Transport cos there isn't any, in my own case walk 1/2 a mile to the bus stop, 8 mile journey into town, Swop buses 30 mile journey to work, I'd have to leave home at just after 6 to get in for 9. Total cost more than taking the car.

Go into Town at night and get a taxi home ( forgetting about going in or fetching cars back ) costs about £20 in a taxi, in the cities with a good public transport system you'd paya fraction of that

Personally I think one of the issues is that so many people in power have never lived in or experienced rural life they don't understand the problems
keith

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 am

Keith,

Why shouldn't people in rural areas pay the price of transport, what is the logic in asking city dwellers to subsidise those who chose to live in the country?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:25 am

Nick wrote:Keith,

Why shouldn't people in rural areas pay the price of transport, what is the logic in asking city dwellers to subsidise those who chose to live in the country?

A great question Nick.

John Corey
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby keith » Sun May 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Why should buses be subsidised per passenger not per mile travelled, basically a bus uses give or take the same amount of fuel to travel 1 mile if there are 2 or 52 people on it.

Another example

under the grant formula the London Police get £259 per head of population, east midlands average is £115
Crimes per 1,000 population London 111 East midlands 87
Grant per Crime is £2343 in London, 1330 in East midlands

yet the east midlands will have far higher fuel costs because of the sparcity factor, will require more buildings & vehicles for the same reason, typical unfair government ideas

Of course the area that benefit tend to elect labour Councils, those that suffer tory or lib dem

coincidence - I think not
keith

Postby Nick » Mon May 03, 2010 8:06 am

keith wrote:Why should buses be subsidised per passenger not per mile travelled, basically a bus uses give or take the same amount of fuel to travel 1 mile if there are 2 or 52 people on it.

Because the buses reason for travelling is for carrying passengers a bus carrying 52 passengers is 52 times more beneficial than one carrying 1 passengers. By your logic the buses ought to travel empty and not stop.

keith wrote:under the grant formula the London Police get £259 per head of population, east midlands average is £115

Unfortunately comparing any police force with the Met just doesn't work. The Met. recruits and trains more police officers than all the other forces combined. Half of police officers work for the Met. which do a number of national jobs (e.g. The Flying Squad) courtesy of London being the capital. South Wales police simply couldn't cope if Cardiff or Swansea were promoted to the Premiership - they don't have enough officers to police the games.

keith wrote:Of course the area that benefit tend to elect labour Councils, those that suffer tory or lib dem

A powerful argument for voting Labour which I just cannot counter.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 am

Keith you haven't taken into account the fact that the cost of living is higher in the London area - property, food etc.
Lynda

Postby keith » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:59 pm

But so are wages

Average for IT in London £50K plus

East Midlands about £20K
keith

Postby REI » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 pm

keith wrote:But so are wages

Average for IT in London £50K plus

East Midlands about £20K

Is this British logic in action? What makes rural better given the info above?

I am not saying one is better or worse. Just curious as to what the message is when you remove the obtuse logic.
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby james11 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm in total agreement with what Lynda has said. Keith has missed the must.
james11

Postby james11 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:39 am

Costs are high and awful. Rural life is still better.
james11

Postby slagthemoff » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:45 pm

It's quiet and that works for me :D :D
slagthemoff

Postby Lynda » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:21 pm

A year or so ago I would have agreed with you. We now live in a close so there is no passing traffic at all and hardly any noise at all at night. Neither my husband nor I have slept as well since we came here.

Before we lived on a busy main road and our bedroom was at the front of the house. I still don't regret moving though.
Lynda

Postby slagthemoff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 pm

We had the same problem - it went away and I would NEVER move back to town :dance:
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm a country boy too, but actually ..... the Cotswolds are noisier than Pimlico - the birds make such a racket in the mornings, whilst central London is deadly quiet.

Slag - you up for some more PHP trouble shooting?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby slagthemoff » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:34 pm

That's odd - I replied with a 'yes' and there it isn't???
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:20 pm

slagthemoff wrote:That's odd - I replied with a 'yes' and there it isn't???

I had a fit of thread tidying & moved it to start a new thread in the Techie Forum.
Nick
Site Admin

Next

Return to London Life