Confusing blog title - Pimlico flats

Discuss anything to do with living in London

Confusing blog title - Pimlico flats

Postby Lynda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:12 am

Nick, I think that the blog entitled Emergency Short Term Accommodation for Travellers in London might be a little confusing to some people. Wouldn't it have been better to refer to Tourists? Travellers usually suggested gipsies to most people.
Lynda

Re: Confusing blog title - Pimlico flats

Postby REI » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:22 am

Travelers is not well understood by all of the target market. Folks from the US would expect it refers to them when they are traveling. The term is not used the same as the US does not have Gypsies.

No idea what other countries call them. I suspect 'travelers' is a colloquial term used mostly by the British. Does anyone know the French, Italian, etc. terms?

Gypsy seems to be more correct or the formal terms.

John Corey
John B. Corey Jr.
25+ years of REI, US & UK.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter-> www.twitter.com/john_corey
REI

Postby Lynda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:46 am

Travellers - in the UK we spell it with two Ls - is a politically correct name for gipsies.
Lynda

Postby REI » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Lynda wrote:Travellers - in the UK we spell it with two Ls - is a politically correct name for gipsies.

Compared to the folks passing through Heathrow and the other airports the gipsies are a tiny minority.

John Corey
John B. Corey Jr.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
REI

Postby Lynda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:48 pm

I think most travellers (gypsies) have been in the UK for a long time. They just move from place to place. At one time, they used to be moved on every so often but now I think councils are obliged to find them suitable land to camp on.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:33 am

Good point, I think that I took my lead from the website offering the accommodation. Actually words are incredibly important on the internet & with Google. If trapped people search for something other than "travellers" they won't find the article. Sometimes my Blogs are deliberately wrong - one of the things that I have been planning to do is write some articles about Londres - because French people deserve to live in London too!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 am

Point taken. I had forgotten Google.
Lynda

Postby REI » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:46 am

Following up from Nick's point, figuring out how the customer might spell something is important. If the target market has a lot of US folks in it, using the US spelling might be important. Good thing computers have multiple dictionaries.

Rather than trying to figure out what is important you can use Google to see what terms people are putting into their searches. Then build the article of page from the keywords that matter.

John Corey
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby keith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:32 pm

gipsies are Romanies are proper travelling people

Travellers are usually lazy idle good for nothings, ie the tarmac your drive for £100 merchants etc

The major difference

upset a gipsy and get cursed
Upset a traveller get cursed at and your head kicked in
keith

Postby Lynda » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:55 pm

In Essex, they are folk who take over any piece of land they fancy, cause noise and nuisance and eventually move on to cause havoc elsewhere leaving the council to clear up the mess at huge expense.
Lynda

Postby freyja » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:58 pm

I think that's how they behave everywhere Lynda, the romantic image of gypsies in a fancy painted caravan is a thing of the past.
freyja

Postby Lynda » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:01 pm

It certainly is.
Lynda

Return to London Life