Escalaphobia

Discuss anything to do with living in London

Escalaphobia

Postby Don » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 am

Is real! I know this, as it's something I've faced forever!
I think it started when I was just a toddler, I was born in Lambeth and my Mother would always take us around London, the Museums, Galleries and to see the changing of the Guards... oh and I'm so old I remember when we could feed the pigeons at Trafalgar square, we used to buy pots of food from an old man that was always covered in the birds like they were old friends of his.
Ohh summer of '76 when we were allowed to paddle in the fountains :D Happy days! :D
Back to escalators :? I remember clinging onto my Mums hand for dear life as we travelled on them, for a toddler they were like giant metal monsters and the walls were covered in posters of people with black and blue faces as a warning to use the escalators safely. Added to that all the warnings about baggage and bombs, but the IRA were an unknown and faceless threat to a child, especially compared to the total hugeness of the London underground :shock:
I think that's where my fear comes from.
It's stayed with me all these years, when I had the road accident I remember having to navigate them on crutches, much to the amusement of my very evil neighbour who had very kindly taken me out for the day :shock:

Yes, I'm due to head for London again, it's days before I go but my stomach is already turning over like a cement mixer at the thought of it!
This was last time http://delphinus-dreams.blogspot.com/2011/02/is-it-just-me-escalators-panic.html :lol: it's funny now, but not until I'd set foot on home ground this end!
If I add an hour to my journey, it looks like I might be able to avoid it this time, hopefully. :?
Wish me luck, I'm already wishing I was home again :lol:
Don

Re: Escalaphobia

Postby Lynda » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 am

I've never had a problem with escalators but I do hate lifts. I'm not far off being claustrophic.

Good Luck in London, Don.
Lynda

Re: Escalaphobia

Postby Don » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks Lynda :) I don't mind lifts, even though I've been stuck in them a few times in the past.
Don

Return to London Life