SEO - How to get decent Page Rank

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

SEO - How to get decent Page Rank

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Conventional SEO says that to get decent Google Page Rank, and consequently appear high up in SERPS you need to get lots on Inbound links. This theory is so deep rooted that there are companies dedicated to getting pagelinks, and charging handsomely for the service. The are websites called directories set up for no greater reason than to provide links (for a small price).

The corollary of this theory is that Outbound links are a Bad Thing, providing holes on your website that Pagerank leaks out of. This part of the theory is so deep rooted that HTML introduced a "No Follow" attribute that tells Google not to index a link, but to ignore it, and many websites mark all outbound links as "No Follow" in order to stop their Pagerank leaking out to other websites' benefit.

I've always felt this view of the internet as rather unlikely, and I've never tried to mask my outbound links as No Follow. I do try to ensure that links out are sensible, and useful to the reader, and then - that's my job done. I also try to use anchor text on outbound links - again to help the reader decide whether they want to click. It helps Google too.

I got a very strong hint from Google that my theory is right. I have a London Links page where I try to put all links in a sensible manner. It's probably the least important page on my website, and so gets very little attention from me, yet Google rates it pretty highly. It has no inbound links that I am aware of, but is rich in links out. I think this tells it's own story. I've been aware of this for some time now, and it has helped my successfully develop the traffic to my website to the extent that the traffic is an order of magnitude higher than much larger national landlords such as Residential Land, Grainger PLC, The Grosvenor Estate, Ilchester Estates, Cadogan, the Portman Estate's 110 acres of land within Marylebone.

BTW - do you see what i just did there? :lol:

Anyway - it looks to me as if the SEO Gurus are beginning to see things my way .........

A New Linking Strategy: Out is the New In

All of us need to change our mindsets about linking. We need to get back to the original mindset of the web.
That’s not to say that getting backlinks is bad (provided you’re not spamming to do it—that’s another article altogether). Nor should you ignore the SEO benefits of internal links.
But we need to get back to the idea of sharing links simply because the information is of value to our readers.
As the search engines get smarter, and the value of comment links, forum links, and social media links drops, the value of in-content links (i.e. links from within an article itself) will rise.

Linking Out Instead of Link Building to Rank in Google

You link out to make people notice you.
You link out to get returning visitors who want more links.
You link out for Google to notice that you are a great resource, a hub, offering relevant links to all kinds of valuable resources.

This is what happened here on SEOptimise. It’s not just the great content we have. Other UK SEO blogs have great content as well, maybe even more in-depth content, but we offer a resource which is like a gate in many directions, while other blogs focus on making the readers stay longer on their own sites. We are not afraid to send you away because we know you will come back. Also we don’t hoard PageRank because we know it’s not been a real SEO metric for a few years.
Nick
Site Admin

Re: SEO - How to get decent Page Rank

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Cutts continued by mentioning a Google update that is scheduled for release within the next few weeks to months. He discusses how Google is trying to “level the playing field” and give sites without many SEO fixes the same level of attention.

Here is how Cutts responds,

“And the idea is basically to try and level the playing ground a little bit, so all those people who have sort of been doing, for lack of a better word, ‘over-optimization’ or overly doing their SEO, compared to the people who are just making great content and trying to make a fantastic site, we want to sort of make that playing field a little more level. So that’s the sort of thing where we try to make the website…the Googlebot smarter, we try to make our relevance more adaptive, so the people who don’t do SEO, we handle that, and then we also start to look at the people who sort of abuse it, whether they throw too many keywords on the page or whether they exchange way too many links, or whatever they’re doing to sort of go beyond what a normal person would expect in a particular area. So that is something where we continue to pay attention, and continue to work on it…we have several engineers on my team working on that right now.”

What does all of this mean?

For some webmasters who have kept their SEO techniques so sparkly white that you can barely call them SEO techniques, this will be welcomed news.

For others who understand SEO and linking, and were using manipulative tactics that weren’t necessarily bad, just clever, there may be cause for concern.

Here is why…

The blog networks are about to die off faster than the dinosaurs. Yesterday, Build My Rank, one of the top blog networks, was obliterated from the web after Google de-indexed its thousands of blogs. Every blog that belonged to the network along with every website that received links will feel the sting of this one.

Some SEOs thought blog networks were sound marketing strategies, but Google thinks otherwise. If you belong to a blog network, you are essentially paying for links and you know how Google looks down on paid links!

Who will be next? Only time will tell, but I suspect we are in for some HUGE surprises in the very near future.

http://site-reference.com/articles/hot- ... g-network/
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Nick,

I agree that people should link to useful info and that can be in more than one direction.

I do not see a clear proof that your conclusion about how Google weights things is anything more than an individual's speculation. Maybe something worth rigorously testing. Clearly not something that can be declared based on the evidence you have supplied. How one would run a conclusive test might not be all that easy. That does not remove the need to have real proof before one can jump to your conclusion.

Does it really matter? Based on what you have said, it does not matter much to you. Your evidence is anecdotal and not why you were managing the links you were creating. In other words, you website (blog if that is a better term) serves its purpose almost independent of the exact reason Google awards points to the site.
John B. Corey Jr.
25+ years of REI, US & UK.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter-> www.twitter.com/john_corey
REI

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 pm

John,

You are right, & as far as Google are concerned very much "on message". However it is human nature to try to punch above your weight, get more bang for your buck than the other guy, etc etc. I know of people running very similar sites to my own who are paid $60/year for links from their websites. Very black hat, but a scalable model. With that sort of money floating around it's natural for people to be interested in how to get the best out of Google - especially since Google often doesn't get it right.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Nick,

The following makes me wonder...
...natural for people to be interested in how to get the best out of Google - especially since Google often doesn't get it right.

Chasing Google's attention while knowing Google does not get it right is my first take on the statement.

As a pastime or game to play, focusing on the ranking can be better than some other computer games or bad TV shows.
John B. Corey Jr.
Free advice so get in touch. I like to discuss deals structures & overall strategy
I sometimes maintain a blog when the tools are being well behaved. www.ChelseaPrivateEquity.com/blog
REI

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Well I had a different conversation in my mind when I said about Google not getting it right. Often when I search for things where there is competition for something close Google's natural results can be annoying - e.g. recently I wanted to know purchase prices for a particular printer, but search kept getting me printer ink suppliers trying to sell me replacement cartridges. When that sort of things happens I look at the paid Adwords results which tend to be very accurately targeted to the search terms.

So it was in that context that I was talking about getting the best out of Google. I think you are being unfair in classifying Google rankings to the category as a TV game. Like it or not Internet Commerce is here and important, and Google natural search will be a big part of that.

But things are continually changing. I follow a Scottish SEO expert because he tries stuff out & then blogs about what he did rather than just broadcasting rules & guidance. Here is an interesting indication of how different the future might be:

He searched for ‘office cleaning services’ & got interesting results ......

After the 1st page the next 10 PAGES of organic results were all 100% local Google Places info.

That’s 3 organic results in the top 100 results in Google.

11 sponsored ads
3 links direct to business website from Local Places info
7 links that lead you to an organic listing

The obvious conclusion is about the importance of making sure that your business is in Google Places, but my point here is just that commerce on the internet is still in it's infancy, and that we don't yet know how things will pan out.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Nick,

Thanks for the detail.

You misread my response when you made the leap from 'game' to 'TV game'. To me a 'game' is a process where there are rules, strategy and a way to measure success. You work at figuring out the strategy that will produce the best result. It can be entertaining while stimulating.

To me, a 'TV game' is entertainment without any real engagement. You passively watch it happen. Hence there is little ability to change the outcome if you are in the audience.

I was saying the idea of trying to squeeze out the maximum Google juice is more or less the same as trying to win a game. For some there could be a financial reward and for many others it is a way to pass some time.
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm

John,

You are right - for me it's a game because if I want tenants I advertise. When my blog got hacked I didn't get around to fixing it for 2 weeks because it wasn't a business priority. Nevertheless I view having a significant internet presence rather like business cards are/were viewed, something that you need to be treated seriously. I do have SEO extensions on my browser, and sometimes when viewing a website I check it's rank & traffic whilst deciding how seriously to value the content. I guess given that the internet makes it so easy to present professional looking graphics, it's my way of seeing past an impressive looking website to what is behind it.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Nick,

We are on the same page in terms of playing a fun game and playing it well.

As to professional image, I guess the the various avatars / images you use send a signal as to what you feel is important.
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:47 pm

REI wrote:I guess the the various avatars / images you use send a signal as to what you feel is important.

I'm not sure which way to take that! ROFL
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Nick wrote:
REI wrote:I guess the the various avatars / images you use send a signal as to what you feel is important.

I'm not sure which way to take that! ROFL

What ever way fit. You were commenting on professional sites and I noticed the image to the left of the comment. It brought back memories of the image where you had a URL 'tattooed' on your forehead.
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

I still use that as my main Avatar. I feel a discussion about what constitutes "professional" coming on :D
Nick
Site Admin

Postby REI » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Nick wrote:I still use that as my main Avatar. I feel a discussion about what constitutes "professional" coming on :D

Go for it. I was feeling like it was time to move on as the discussion reached its end for me. Enjoy.
John B. Corey Jr.
REI

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Nick
Site Admin

Postby slagthemoff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Good Lord - I've been away for a few months and SEO BS has moved on decades while reality has remained the same ;)
slagthemoff

Postby Coly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:53 am

I think forum posting and social media sites are the best way to increase the traffic on your site as well as to create backlinks for your site that will help you in getting a good page rank.But if you have money to invest on your site than paid backlinks on high page rank site is the best way to get high page rank.
gold coast directories
Coly

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:44 am

The trouble is that we get a few link droppers, generally from Pakistan for some reason. Originally they used to just post links, these days they join, make a few posts, then later come back and add the link to their signature. Sometimes I change the link to something that I want to promote, other times I just delete the ID.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby slagthemoff » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:13 pm

When will people get the message that SEO is a variable? The whole point of SEO is to get your message across to people who want to read it so top of Google is BS unless you know why?

For example, I run several micro businesses. I operate in a local environment i.e. within a 20 (ish) mile radius. Most people know who I am and only need current contact details so all I need to do is hit top of Google for the NAME ffs.

Google 'computermedics' - correct, I'm top-slot. If you don't know what your customers search for you may as well whistle...
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:21 am

Good point slag - SEO is a subset of the marketing strategy, not the whole thing.
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical