energy saving tips

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

energy saving tips

Postby phyl6058 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 am

Some of the the tips that may help you out in saving energy.
Plant tall, fast growth trees on the south side of your house.
Install white window shades, drapes, or blinds to reflect heat away from the house.
Maintain your system. You can ensure your system operates at peak performance by scheduling semi-annual maintenance checks. An annual inspection of your cooling system may extend the life of your equipment and save you money by lowering your energy bills. Poorly maintained air conditioners can waste a tremendous amount of energy. "National statistics show that over 70% of all air conditioning and compressor outages could be avoided if the equipment was regularly checked, adjusted, calibrated, and maintained by qualified technicians." (Source - Around the Clock: Energy Saving Tips)
Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
Unplug electronics, battery chargers and other equipment when not in use. Taken together, these small items can use as much power as your refrigerator. Televisions, cable television boxes, cell phone chargers and other electronics give off more waste heat than you might imagine. Unplug these items or consider purchasing power management devices to eliminate electric consumption entirely when not in use.
Reduce air conditioning costs by using fans, keeping windows and doors shut and closing shades during the day.
phyl6058

Re: energy saving tips

Postby Lynda » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 am

With snow all around me, the last thing on earth I'm thinking about today is cooling my house.

I can only remember three days since I've lived here when a fan was useful.
Lynda

Postby jennas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm

These were indeed some good tips suggested by you but people can adopt them mostly on a temporary basis. Everyone should initiate from somewhere to save energy and also the amount spend on heating bills. Nowadays, there are many methods that initially will cost you some amount but on a longer run they will be beneficial for you. Making your home energy efficient can provide you a permanent solution to the problem. Also, if you are planning to sell your home in future then it will increase the cost of your property. The following link contains the methods that you can implement in your homes:
http://www.allkaregroup.co.uk/_blog/All ... ing_Bills/
jennas

Postby Rob H » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 pm

phyl6058 wrote:Unplug electronics, battery chargers and other equipment when not in use. Taken together, these small items can use as much power as your refrigerator. Televisions, cable television boxes, cell phone chargers and other electronics give off more waste heat than you might imagine.

Surely the use of such small items which accepted, can and often do give off considerable heat mitigates the use of conventional heat sources eg central heating. As most people 'feel' a comfortable level of heat in the home, they would naturally turn down the thermostate a degree or so if the ambient temperature wre higher than it would be should there be no electrical applicances attached. Therefore, referring to this as 'waste heat' is not entirely correct.
Rob
Rob H

Postby keith » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 am

phyl6058 wrote:Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
Unplug electronics, battery chargers and other equipment when not in use. Taken together, these small items can use as much power as your refrigerator. Televisions, cable television boxes, cell phone chargers and other electronics give off more waste heat than you might imagine. Unplug these items or consider purchasing power management devices to eliminate electric consumption entirely when not in use.
Reduce air conditioning costs by using fans, keeping windows and doors shut and closing shades during the day.

I've just bought some LEG GU10 Bulbs for my new kitchen 5 Watts each compared to 50 watt conventional Bulbs, although expensive at £28 for 10 they will more than pay for themselves in a year and the MTTF is rated at 20,000 hours ( at my usage 20 years )

And how do you think many powermanagement devices work, oh yes they monitor the power use on 1 socket and that then decides if others are on or off, this uses power, the on off switch is far more ECO Friendly

And as to plantong fast growing trees to the south of the property we have enough problems with idiots planting leylandii already thankyou
reflective film in windows or the great British K-Glass work better

The sooner Governments around the world realise that Air conditioning in houses is a huge producer of C02 and ban them the better, if you wanna live and work where it's hot adapt to it don't force the world to adapt to you
keith

Postby slagthemoff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 am

Drop links on other people's forums - let them pay for your advertising...

...a fine example of SEO and two in the same thread!
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 am

slagthemoff wrote:Drop links on other people's forums - let them pay for your advertising...

...a fine example of SEO and two in the same thread!

They are getting cleverer in that they drop the link on a second hit. Thanks for the heads up as I missed that one - I change the link, e-mail & password.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby slagthemoff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Jennas is known to you?
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 pm

No - but the link doesn't going anywhere - does it do any damage?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby slagthemoff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:40 pm

No damage - just cheeky ;)
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Yes - well I try to stay on top of "cheek" - I am surprised that they bother, the benefit must be minimal even if they get away with it, which on any monitored board they won't. TBH I take the fact that they try as a compliment - we must have sufficient Google profile for them to try it on!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Steve Griff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Nick wrote:Yes - well I try to stay on top of "cheek" - I am surprised that they bother, the benefit must be minimal even if they get away with it, which on any monitored board they won't. TBH I take the fact that they try as a compliment - we must have sufficient Google profile for them to try it on!

You have plenty of profile especially from the side.
Steve Griff

Postby slagthemoff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:27 pm

It's a judgement call I guess - some you cull, some you leave. Even a spam post can be an advantage ;)
slagthemoff

Postby keith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 pm

phyl6058 wrote:Unplug electronics, battery chargers and other equipment when not in use. Taken together, these small items can use as much power as your refrigerator. Televisions, cable television boxes, cell phone chargers and other electronics give off more waste heat than you might imagine. Unplug these items or consider purchasing power management devices to eliminate electric consumption entirely when not in use.

Of course if Americans, Australians and a more than a few British etc understood the need to save no renewables we might have less of a problem with oil running short. Why do so many people have Chelsea Tractors for the School run at 10-15 MPG when a Corsa at 65 MPG would be easier to park and less damaging to the environment.

And before anyone asks yes my company provided car is a 1.4 Diesel Turbo Corsa with an ECO engine that stops when I stop in traffic, and I am averaging over 60 MPG and it still has enough oomph to safely overtake on Lincolnshire roads. I do think on long Motorway runs it would struggle but I'd usually use my own car for that sort of trip.

Things on the car to Note

Declutter the back/Boot and carry less junk you don't need.
Ensure the tyre pressures are right - By running tyres at just 80 percent of the recommended pressure, motorists can expect tyre life to be reduced to around 75 percent. If the pressure falls to 60 percent, motorists can expect to achieve just 35 percent of the potential mileage from the tyre and also inflating tires to their proper pressure can improve mileage by about 3.3 percent, whereas leaving them under-inflated can lower mileage by 0.4 percent for every one PSI drop in pressure of all four tires - 12000 miles a year could cost you over £100 - That's Based on my Corsa coming down from 65 to 60 MPg and fuel at £1.40 and I do nearer 25,000 a Year

Keep it clean, I'm assured that a clean Car because of it's smoother airflow it will use less fuel, ditto repairing Dents

At less than 30 MPH open the window don't use air con at above 40 use air con don't open the windows
keith

Postby slagthemoff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Sound ideas - pity the major pollution generators won't be listening. On the other hand, CO2 is much maligned, global warming is over-hyped and pretty much every other country gives not one jot in any case.

Even the Germans are building coal-fired power stations...
slagthemoff

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:36 am

Claire just bought the latest model of Fiesta, it's a 1.4 Petrol, they've actually dropped that model in the recent facelift, and the biggest engine now available is a 1.25, but we both like a bit of oomph to our cars. We are getting 40 mpg from it which I think is fantastic seeing as most journeys are urban and around 5 - 15 miles. Cars are definitely more economical than they used to be, and we as a family are definitely so as I've now sold a BMW 330 Ci that did 26 mpg, & a Ford Explorer 2.5 ton, 4 Litre engine that did 10 mpg! We called the Explorer "The Tank" and rarely used it because we couldn't afford the petrol!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm

We've been driving a 1.4 Fiesta for over two years. It's quite powerful enough for us.
Lynda

Postby Simon01 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 am

According to my personal view we mostly consume our electricity for change our home climate. if there is warm then we try to make it cool and if cool then try to make it warm. so Inspect your home's HVAC duct system to be sure they're properly connected, sealed tightly and well insulated. Because more than half of the energy used for heating is lost through uninsulated walls, floors, ceilings and attics.
Simon
Simon01

Postby keith » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:14 pm

15% of all the energy used in the USA is used for Air Con.

Turn it off save money and the planet.
keith

Postby Meefirst234 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Hello. I want to ask if any of you know if blinds that claim to have insulation properties are any good. I have to install some in house and I'm asking if you agree with the next statement I found online about this kind of window treatment: The slim 20mm pleats make the blind neatly fit into any size window. The blinds are particularly suitable for conservatories, orangeries and sunrooms. There are two types of pleated blinds, freehanging for windows and conservatory walls, skylight blinds for square and rectangular glass and conservatory ceilings. Our pleated blinds manufactured with ASC fabrics with their solar reflective backing will keep your conservatory cool in summer and save money on heating costs in winter. Our translucent fabrics gently filter and soften the light whilst still giving your room privacy.
Do you have any experience with these, and if yes would you recommend them to me? Any advice would be appreciated as I want to know what I'm buying. Thank you in advance and have a lovely day!

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/13 ... 1#44377271
Meefirst234

Next

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical