Wordpress restore issues

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

Wordpress restore issues

Postby Rob H » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 am

Hi,

I wonder if anybody can help?

I recently changed hosts for one of my websites, the previous host kindly backed up my file content and passed over to me as a .zip file via dropbox. I've set up the domain ok with the new host but cannot for the life of me manage to get the content uploaded. I've tried a number of ways using Cpanel, Softalicious, cut & paste through Cpanel file manager but without any success.

Clearly I'm out of my depth! Having also searched on Wordpress forums, I can't seem to find the correct solution there either.

Can anyone please help?
Rob
Rob H

Re: Wordpress restore issues

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 pm

It may be too late now, but the way to have done it would be to make a cPanel backup of the entire site, and restore from that. I've avoided the databases like the plague, but I suspect that your problem lies with the MySQL databases behind the Wordpress PHP script.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:13 pm

If your zip file IS a cPanel backup then just give it to your new host and ask them to install it for you. You will need to ask them to change the DNS record so that your domain moves too.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rob H » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm

My domain has moved ok, I'me able to change the DNS servernames ok.

I would have thought it was a Cpanel backup but a restore failed three times yesterday when I tried.
Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 pm

I looked on the cPanel Forums and the backup is not intended for you to restore yourself because it includes cPanel configuration files. Are you sure your new host won't restore it for you?
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical