Connecting Scanner to the Puter?

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

Connecting Scanner to the Puter?

Postby Rich G » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Dumbkopf Q. this but our scanner/printer won't scan. It connects fine to both puters for printing, but when we try to scan shows an error message 'No Computer Detected'. Perhaps we just need the driver software? But where to get it?
Rich G

Re: Connecting Scanner to the Puter?

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:04 pm

What computer, OS, Printer?

How did you install it?

USB connection?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rich G » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 pm

OK, imac :naughty: :lol: Snow Leopard on my 2 year old one, Lion on Christina's new one. Printer HP Photosmart 5510.

Just connected it and started, it did the rest. Won't work on Christina's new imac either. Worked just fine as a printer straight away.

USB yes, altho it's supposed to work wireless too. That's a complete PIA, it seems to have to go back to the router to work properly, we have an old house with thick walls and it doesn't work. Gonna get a BT Homehub, it's supposed to be betr.
Rich G

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 am

Did you buy the printer through Apple? I checked the printer and HP recommend updating the firmware to work with Apple.

If you have an installation disk try installing the printer. I don't know what Apple does but with Windows when you "Just plug the printer in" it installs the printer itself, and gets the files it needs via the internet. It's possible that it's not doing that rather complex task properly, so one way of solving the problem (possibly the only way) is to remove the printer from your OS (you need to actually delete it off the system), and then install the printer - this will mean inserting the disk that came with the printer BEFORE connecting the printer, and following the instructions.

As for Wifi printers - I have one & although it worked well, I have a complicated network (not just a router) and it's address kept getting "lost" so in the end I stopped bothering to fix it & just plugged it in as a USB printer.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 am

Rich

for your network have you thought of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA21 ... 365&sr=1-1

they are cheaper elsewhere but not everyone gives such a good description
keith

Postby Rich G » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:04 am

Hi Keith, what does it do, up the power on the wireless?
Rich G

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 am

Rich,

I have 4 of them and they are good, they used to cost £80 so the price is good. They use your house electrical wiring to provide a network - very useful if you have thick stone walls that the wireless won't penetrate, plug one into your router & the other into your PC or Printer.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rich G » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Oh what a clever idea! Amazing that wiring can do this AND carry 240 volts AC, bizarre.

What about the increase in radiation? Brain-fry?
Rich G

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:01 pm

They will impose a high frequency signal onto the 50Hz mains voltage - it's simple electrical theory, if you accept that a signal can be transmitted over a wire, it's a simple step to impose that signal onto a cycling 240V voltage instead of 0V. What surprised me is that any 2 units don't have to be on the same circuit of the house!

There is no radiation involved, the signal goes through the house electricity wires.
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical