Cheap Tablets

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

Cheap Tablets

Postby keith » Mon May 06, 2013 8:28 pm

goto redstore .com and enter this item code iif it's not on Page 1 ZOO/TAB/006

yep a tablet for £0.00
keith

Re: Cheap Tablets

Postby Nick » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Oh dear,

I just bought 3! :oops:

Guess I'll just have to sell them cheap.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 am

Hi,

Thank you for your order #240928

We are very sorry to say the item you have order is having an price error

So we have to cancel the order

Please give us your confirmation to cancel the order and refund the amount

Regards,
Team Redstore

Mmmm - this happened to me a few years back with Curries - A cooker that they had priced at £50 instead of £550. Didn't get that either!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Tue May 07, 2013 10:20 pm

my response to a similar email

You Offered the item for sale at £0.00

I accepted that offer and Placed an order you accepted that order at that Price, and that point under English law we entered into a contract.

I refer you to "Unfair Trading Regulations 2008"

I believe you must now fulfill the order at the price quoted
keith

Postby Nick » Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 pm

I think I tried something similar with the £50 cooker - but I think in law they can validly not homour a mistake. Worth a try though - good luck!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rob H » Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Nick wrote:I think I tried something similar with the £50 cooker - but I think in law they can validly not homour a mistake. Worth a try though - good luck!

Afriend and I were both living on a construction site caravan park whilst the A20 was being duelled in the early 1990's from the bottom of the M20 to Dover. One afternoon when we were strolling through Canterbury, we noticed a rediculous cheap offer for a Sky package in the window of Curry's. They argued and wriggled and argued and wriggled but eventually brow beat them and got them to sell at the price quoted (during the haggling the offer was taken down) We proceeded to spend the rest of the weekend installing the dish etc on to his caravan. Oh happy days!!
Rob
Rob H

Postby Lynda » Tue May 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Nick wrote:I think I tried something similar with the £50 cooker - but I think in law they can validly not homour a mistake. Worth a try though - good luck!

I'm almost certain they have to honour it if they've accepted the order.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Wed May 29, 2013 5:40 am

Lynda wrote:

That's what I thought, but apparently not.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rob H » Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Nick wrote:
Lynda wrote:

That's what I thought, but apparently not.

In legal terms a 'price tag' (or variant) is known as an 'Invitation to Treat' rather than an 'Offer' in contractual terms. An invitation to treat is very similar to an offer (to enter into contract) and is only differentiated by the intention of the party making the offer (If I recall correctly)

Basically its an inducement to making an offer rather than an offer itself and the invitation is made generally rather than specifically to parties. An Invitation is therefore not legally binding as no contract has been formed at that stage.

However, in this example, if the order has been accepted then I would suggest that a contract has been formed and their failure to perform would constitute a breach. The remedy for breach of contract is damages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/441740.stm

This got me thinking further and I came across this article from 2009. Whilst demonstrating a loss in a civil claim may not be too easy, its fairly clear that these traders have in fact commited a criminal offence and could face prosecution and a fine. It may be worth you while getting in touch, reminding them of their breach and suggest that they provide the goods say, at reasonable admin costs including postage and packing rather than be reported to local trading standards and others (which is your obligation to do so!!)
Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Wed May 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Rob,

My first instance was 3/4 years ago & a cooker had been put on the internet at £50 instead of £550. It news was spread in a private forum here over a weekend, & quite a few of us bought one. First thing Monday morning when the Co. (I think it was Comet, can't remember) came into work, they cancelled all the orders. I did try to challenge this, but found that there is a right in law to cancel a mistaken price. I think the way it works is that a contract is defined in law as an agreement to trade. If one party made a mistake in preparing their agreement, then they obviously don't agree. http://www.out-law.com/page-429
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rob H » Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Nick wrote:Rob,

My first instance was 3/4 years ago & a cooker had been put on the internet at £50 instead of £550. It news was spread in a private forum here over a weekend, & quite a few of us bought one. First thing Monday morning when the Co. (I think it was Comet, can't remember) came into work, they cancelled all the orders. I did try to challenge this, but found that there is a right in law to cancel a mistaken price. I think the way it works is that a contract is defined in law as an agreement to trade. If one party made a mistake in preparing their agreement, then they obviously don't agree. http://www.out-law.com/page-429

As ever, it all depends on the companies T&C's, there is still plenty of opportunity to enforce a bargian though. The more legal challenges that go on record, the more crystallised the compliance criteria is and therefore by default, the opportunity to spot the anomolies.
Rob
Rob H

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical