Satellite Broadband - any experiences

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

Postby Rob H » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:01 pm

I wasn't even aware that this was an option until this afternoon.

A guaranteed 20Mb download speed with no bandwidth issues is attractive when BT are currently churning out 1Mb with no idea when the long awaited upgrade to fibre is due to be made. This is due to a quirk in the network and we are the only 'circuit' in the town that has yet to be upgraded. BT did say "by the end of the year" but that said that in 2012 also!

Theres no other cable option, I'm awaiting for EE to roll out 4G in my area but again thats "by the end of the year" although since O2/Vodafones announcements regarding 4G, EE are now promising 60-80Mb.

Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Rob
Rob H

Re: Satellite Broadband - any experiences

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:31 pm

I have a friend who has/had it - he is very techie and hosts websites on his own servers (in fact he worked for BT & used to be "The Internet Manager" for the UK about 15 years ago). I have a feeling it might be expensive.

Check your speed in comparison to your neighbours - i did this & found people around were faster. I went back to my ISP & they had my speed raised. Basically the quality of your line limits speed, if you go too fast your connection drops so they limit your speed to achieve a secure connection. In my area BT had shortened my distance to a modem but my ISP didn't know, all they had to do was turn my dial up! :D
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Rob H » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Keep trying that Nick, it goes up and then over a period of a couple of weeks goes back to 1Mb again.

£125 install plus £35 a month for 20gb daytime and unlimited nighttime (19.00-07.00)
Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Rob,

I'd try asking your ISP what contention ratio they operate at, and before moving I'd try a package with a better ratio. Normal ratios are 50:1 Retail, 20:1 business & Sky do 33:1 (or they used to).

The Satellite sounds expensive - much as I thought it would be, probably cheaper than I feared. Are those figures bandwidth or speed?
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Some satellite is slow on upload !
keith

Postby Rob H » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Our 'missed' cabinet has now been enabled for fibre broadband. I have a BT Engineer booked in to do the necessary this Thursday!!

I'm really quite excited, BT have extimated that the download speed will be around 76Meg which compared to the 1Meg we experience at the moment will be absolutely awesome. woop, woop , woop :dance:
Rob
Rob H

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm

I have Fibre in my flats in London - I measured it at 24M, it's awsome. It doesn't make much difference to web browsing (presumably the host site is the rate determining step), but downloads complete in a twinkle.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby keith » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:27 pm

TRY quickline I have a mate out in the wilds of Lincolnshire who swears by them
keith

Postby Lynda » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:17 pm

I don't know anything about satellite broadband but I do know that you can't trust a word EE say. When I was waiting for a new phone that was overdue their Facebook page was getting 150 complaints a day about one thing or another. I sent them an email three weeks ago and all I've had is the "do not reply" acknowledgement. Offcom are investigating them for not responding to complaints within 8 weeks.
Lynda

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical