Mysearchdial

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

Mysearchdial

Postby Lynda » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:47 am

Much as I'm enjoying using Chrome I do not like Mysearchdial which keeps high-jacking every search I try to make by opening new windows. I've looked it up on the internet and I can't do any of the things it says to get rid of it. The problem is that it doesn't show up in any installations so I can't seem to uninstall it.

Any suggestions?
Lynda

Re: Mysearchdial

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:35 am

1)Top right button (when you hover mouse over it it says "Customise & Control Chrome"

2)Tools (11th down)

3)Extensions

If you see it in there delete it. While you are there look down the right hand column for anything that says "installed by 3rd party", it's most unlikely that you want those either.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:58 pm

It wasn't listed but I did remove something else added by a third party and Mysearchdial doesn't seem to be there anymore. Here's hoping the deleted item incorporated MSD and it's now gone.

Thanks for the help, Nick.
Lynda

Postby Lynda » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:57 pm

I was wrong. It hasn't gone. I'm still getting new windows opening without wanting them. Most seem to have some kind of auction or sale being advertised.

Is my online banking likely to be secure? Or do I need to do that with IE?
Lynda

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Lynda,

Before addressing the getting rid of it I'd like to say that you need to think about how you got it - with modern operating systems this stuff can't install itself without the user giving it access. They get very clever at sneaking past you, but if you don't identify how it got in then it (or something else) will get in again, and you will spend your life cleaning your PC. Prevention is better than cure.

Having said that - the software itself provides detailed instructions on it's removal - that in itself implies it may be a reputable (if annoying) product. The really nasty stuff creates hidden ways in which it can reinstall itself after you have removed it.

Let me know if following it's own instructions doesn't remove it.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks Nick. I think it's gone.

I had a few scary moments when I tried to reopen the browser after getting rid of it. I couldn't open either Chrome or IE. But after a restart everything seems ok.
Lynda

Postby Lynda » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 pm

I might have spoken too soon. I've just had another page open with this:

http://insurancewe.com/?tid=031-SPU-und ... BZL8SPdg__

It looks as if it may not be mysearchdial but something else. Never mind. I suppose I'll have to live with it. It hasn't affected IE so I think I'll do my internet banking on that instead of Chrome.

Incidentally, the only thing I have downloaded in the past couple of week is AVG. I had Avast before but that kept closing Chrome down so I removed it and downloaded AVG instead. I used AVG for many years without a problem so thought it would be safe and I checked at every stage to make sure I wasn't agreeing to anything else being added. So if it did add anything it was by stealth.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:29 am

It sounds to me as if this isn't a downloaded virus, but a script which has altered the default settings of your browser. I expect that if you do the same thing with IE as you did to trigger the change in Chrome IE will start to behave like Chrome is.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:06 am

It hasn't altered the home page though, Nick. That still comes up as Google.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 am

Then I'm wrong.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:36 am

I know what you were thinking of. I had search conduit on the laptop and that was a real pain to get rid of. That kept altering the home page from Yahoo no matter how many times I changed it. I wish I could remember how I solved that problem.
Lynda

Postby Lynda » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Finally managed to note the name before it changed to whatever auction it was showing me. It's clkntrk.com and apparently it's a cookie with nothing known about it.
Lynda

Postby Lynda » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am

For no apparent reason - I haven't done anything to try to solve the matter for the past 24 hours - it has stopped.

I don't know if it has gone altogether but it's all working fine at the moment with no intrusions.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 am

ROFL
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical