Windows Defender

Anything to do with Computers, The Internet, e-Commerce, Gadgets, Phones, Websites

Windows Defender

Postby Lynda » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Some months ago I got rid of Avast anti-virus because it apparently doesn't work well with Chrome. It wasn't too brilliant anyway. I installed AVG instead but have now discovered that it won't allow Java to work at all. I need to be able to use Java for the Ancestry.co.uk site for genealogy purposes which is my main computer activity these days. I've uninstalled AVG and am currently relying on Windows Defender. Is that good enough to protect my PC? If not, can any of you techies suggest a free anti-virus that will work with Chrome and occasional use of IE and allow Java script too?
Lynda

Re: Windows Defender

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Lynda,

I reckon you'll be OK with Windows defender - you don't do any of the dodgy stuff where the viruses lie, and are experienced enough not to fall for phishing, or download stuff from places you don't know. If you did get worried you could call in at somewhere like http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/ - they scan your PC without you having to install a program, good for an occasional check.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Lynda » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks, Nick - and particularly for the vote of confidence. I feel as if I have come a long way in the past few years. Thanks mainly to my friends in this group.
Lynda

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Lynda wrote:Thanks, Nick - and particularly for the vote of confidence. I feel as if I have come a long way in the past few years. Thanks mainly to my friends in this group.

ROFL
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Duearissa » Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 am

I'm very impressed This is a good story to read in the online world. It is really helpful.
Duearissa

Return to Internet, Computing, and Technical