Southwark

Discuss anything to do with living in London

Southwark

Postby karenkte » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm visiting London in Feb half term staying in Southwark. We've done all the usual tourist things on previous visits so I'm looking for ideas or suggestions....in particular

- I've been told to walk past the tate modern along the Thames past the Shard where there is a street to the right hand side ...in Bermondsey...which is full of independent type shops.....does anyone know this street...and possibly the name of it.

- ideas for places to eat in the evening in Southwark / Waterloo area

- any other suggestions of interesting places to go...in London area....with a 15 yr old boy
karenkte

Re: Southwark

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:32 pm

I don't know if this is too obvious to mention but ...... the London Eye & the London Aquarium are on the doorstep. He might be a bit old for St. James' Park but if you go take some peanuts for the squirrels, & bread for the sparrows - they will both feed from your hand.

How about catching a film, but not just in any old cinema - The BFI London IMAX was designed by Bryan Avery of Avery Associates Architects[2] and completed in May 1999. The screen is the largest in Britain (20m high and 26m wide). It has a seating capacity of just under 500 and a 12,000 Watt digital surround sound system.

Also there is the Southbank complex which has a paperback book market along the embankment at weekends. They've dumped a pile of sand along the Thames foreshore & done a passable impersonation of Bondi Beach - when I was there one weekend there was music & beach dancing, and we went through to a market & some great Cafes & food, but that may only be operating at w/e
Nick
Site Admin

Postby karenkte » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:28 am

Never crossed my mind about the cinema...and I've passed it many times...thanks for that one..he's really into films. Will be adding the acquarium to our list and looks like I will now be taking bird food with me too!
karenkte

Postby Lynda » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:02 pm

The London Eye is a must but I don't think February is the best time. Summer/early autumn is best for seeing the views it offers.
Lynda

Postby Specmonolg » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:42 am

I think the issue that you put forward, I have learned.
Specmonolg

Return to London Life